Dooohhh!! (Connecting wires)

Old 05-23-07, 02:16 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dooohhh!! (Connecting wires)

Short story-given a celing fan from some one who hated it. Removed lighting from dining area-discovered no way this box will hold ceiling fan. Disconnected wires without labling them. Tried to reconnect wires with white to white-black to black-ground to ground. oops what's this red wire for? No power to lights in kitchen/dinig area. On the left side of ceiling there are two sections of wires ( black white ground) On the right side only one section of wires (black white ground red) How to reconnect and get power to lights until a light fixture is found. No longer want the celing fan in dining area. Help

Stizzo

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-07, 02:40 PM
J
Not 100% guaranteed, but this will probably work.

Connect all the black wires in the ceiling together, but do not connect them to the light.

Connect all the white wire in the ceiling to the white wire from the light.

Connect the red wire from the ceiling to the black wire from the light.

Connect all the grounding wires together.

P.S. I think, in officially-approved electrical jargon, the technical term is "duuuhhh!!" rather than "dooohhh!!".

Old 05-23-07, 03:23 PM
J
John is usually right, but I suspect one of those cables is a switch loop, meaning white is not neutral. Call us back if his suggestion does not work.

Old 05-23-07, 05:01 PM
J
If you want to further investigate before you begin, and thus increase your chances of success, examine the wiring in the box that contains the switch that controls this light. Shut off the breaker, gently pull the switch out of the box, and tell us everything you see. Tell us not only the colors of the wires connected to the switch (and the colors of the screws they connect to), but tell us any other wires and connections in the switch box.

Old 05-23-07, 05:34 PM
S
Clarification

Since all these wires are in the ceiling, I'm not sure what you mean by connecting to the light. I am not trying to connect a light, just reconnect the ceiling wires. These three sections of wire are in the ceiling and not connected to any light.

Stizzo

Old 05-23-07, 06:37 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
You said you removed a light to try and install a ceiling fan. Are you not trying to put the light back up?

Old 05-23-07, 07:15 PM
S
Clarification

No I am not trying to put the light back up. I am trying to reconnect the ceiling wires that control the other lights in the area. The new fixture has not been purchased yet.

Stizzo

Old 05-23-07, 07:17 PM
J
Okay, then either do what I said in my first post (minus the connections to the light, and capping off the red wire), or do what I said in my second post.

Old 05-24-07, 12:49 AM
S
Talking Thats the Ticket!

Your suggestion works fine. Just what is that red wire for?

thanks all!!

Stizzo

Old 05-24-07, 04:31 AM
R
The red wire is the switched hot wire.

You should not be doing wiring until and unless you have a basic understanding of electricity and how homes are wired. Please buy at least one book on home wiring BEFORE attempting anything else. I suggest that you start with the book "Wiring Simplified."