Ceiling Fan Multi-switch (one blue wire?)

Old 05-26-07, 01:40 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Multi-switch (one blue wire?)

I have a ceiling fan that is currently powered by a single switch on the wall. The fan itself has a pull string that is, I think, a four-way switch that toggles between turning the fan on, the light, the fan and light on, ect. What I am trying to do is to add a second switch on the wall next to the current switch.

The fan has a single blue wire that is running through it but it is not connected to anything on either end. I believe that the original purpose of the blue wire was to allow me to rewire the fan into the configuration that I described above. Basically, I hope to add the second wall switch that will be direct to the fan so that I can control the light separately.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can make this happen?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-07, 04:55 PM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Fan

Change to a 2-gang switch box. Replace the 2-wire from the switch to the fan with a 3-wire. Control the fan with the black and the lights with the red. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-27-07, 05:58 PM
J
Received 238 Votes on 209 Posts
Never heard of a fan with that setup. Usually they have separate switches for fan and light.

Old 05-28-07, 10:33 AM
J
If the pull-chain is on the fan motor, then it controls only the fan motor. If it is on the light kit, then it controls only the light. Is the pull chain on the fan motor or on the light kit?

Old 05-28-07, 10:19 PM
F
""I have a ceiling fan that is currently powered by a single switch on the wall. The fan itself has a pull string that is, I think, a four-way switch that toggles between turning the fan on, the light, the fan and light on, ect. What I am trying to do is to add a second switch on the wall next to the current switch.""

Ok ,,, the bleu wire is useally for the light kit which it is pretty common with most fan around here

let me explain little more clear what you saying about 4 way switch which that switch is for the fan motor will run like this Off - High - Med - Low that how the fan switch useally work this way

but the main question is how the wires hook up in the ceiling fan box ?? if have black and red and white [ green or bare is grounded wire ] or black and white and bare/green wire ??

it will make the diffrence there.

there is few options you can do this set up either you can replace oringal wire [ 12-2 or 14-2 romax depending on which one you have in there ] and replace it with 14-3 or 12-3 romax [ Make sure you have same gauge wire size there ]

and go to the exsting switch box and fish in new wire there and get new fan / light control or change to two gang switch box the choice is your.

but i really suggest to read the " wiring simpified " or other good book with wiring related issuse there before you start the project so you can understand it more better this way

Merci , Marc