Mercury vapor lamp wattage Q

Old 05-26-07, 06:33 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Question Mercury vapor lamp wattage Q

I have a phosphor coated mercury vapor lamp. The printing on the lamp has worn off, and I can't tell if it is a 175 or a 250 watt lamp. The lamp envelope is a E37 size with a mogul base, and G2G is stamped on the glass support in the bottom of the lamp. Due to the phosphor coating, I can't see the internals of the lamp.
Any ideas on how to determine the wattage of this lamp? We are using both sizes on various older security fixtures, and obviously they are not interchangeable.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-07, 07:09 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
look at the ballast. It will specify what wattage it is designed to drive.

Old 05-26-07, 09:49 PM
Thanks, but that's the problem. I have one lamp without markings, and several assorted 175 and 250 watt fixtures. I have no way of knowing what wattage that particular lamp is...

Old 05-28-07, 11:39 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
nap suggested that you look at the ballast, not the lamp.

Old 05-28-07, 02:34 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
you have one lamp without markings.

apparently this is not already in a fixture. If it is so old the markings have rubbed off, is it a used lamp that may be bad already? I have seen many folks hang on to an old lamp so they know what to buy in the future before going up and opening the fixture.

while this is not definitive, I could not find neither a 175 watt or 250 watt MV in a E37 lamp size. They all seem to be 28's. the only thing I can find in a E37 is a 400 watt lamp.

(you are welcome to cruise Osram Sylvania, GE, and Phillips sites to check it out as well. Those are the major lamp makers)

so, since this is one lamp, I would simply toss the thing. They are not that expensive that I would rather burn out a ballast than try to save $20-$30.

Old 05-28-07, 09:52 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
also if you can find wattage on the ballast that fine but also want to head up with the ballast they have ballast code for correct bulb as well

if it say H-33 that mean Mercury vapour 33 = 400 w MV

if say H-39 that mean 175 w Mercury Vapour

if say H-39 that mean 250 W Mercury Vapour

but if the ballast say " M " [ Metal Halide ] [ diffrent beast so watch out with it ]

M-57 = 175 w MH
M-58 = 250 w MH
M-59 = 400 w MH

so just watch out the ballast destation if you cant find wattage then use the ballast code it will say either H or M

Merci , Marc

Old 05-30-07, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys!

Nap & John,
The problem is that I have several fixtures in both 175 & 250 watt varieties. This lamp is unmarked, so I don't know which fixture to use it in. Also, the lamp envelope is in fact an E28. I was thinking of some 400 watt lamps we have, which are E37's. My mistake.

I'm just going to toss the lamp, and buy a new one. No muss, no fuss.
Thanks again.