help! trouble with light fixture

Old 05-28-07, 03:45 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help! trouble with light fixture

while trying to update a light fixture we had some problems.

The old fixture had only one set of white-black-green. The new fixture has 2 whites, 2 blacks, 1 green. After connecting the whites to the white, (totaling 3 white together) we did the same for the black and connected the 2 greens. The fixture didn't work, but neither did the fan in the next room but everything else did go on, which I think tells me it's not the fixture (we also made sure the lightbulbs were good!)

We looked into the ceiling box and found 4 sets of each: one white, one black and one green, some connected some capped. Now we followed the very cryptic diagram instructions that came with the fixture and we uncapped the ceiling sets and ended up with all the blacks to blacks connected, all the whites to whites, greens, etc... still no luck. Neither the fixture or fan work.

We've now tried a couple of combos. Before we short out the entire house any ideas on what we should do??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-07, 04:22 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming that the previous light worked, you should not have messed with the wiring in the ceiling. You have now made your job much, much harder. The wires in the ceiling connected together should have stayed together. All you needed to do is figure out which one probably had come undone and reconnected it.

Before we go further, tell us in complete detail the wiring at the ceiling and at the switch.

Do not disconnect anything at the switch, but rather tell us what is there.

For both locations, I want to know all the cables and all the wires in each cable. I then want to know what each wire is connected to. Be thorough and complete.