Can you recommend a reliable brand flourescent for garage?

Old 05-29-07, 10:54 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you recommend a reliable brand flourescent for garage?

Thanks in advance for your input. I have a garage that is 24x32 with 13 ft ceilings. I am planning on putting in some electronic ballast (for cold startup) Fluorescents and can hang some of the lights lower in some areas. I've been finding mixed results on feedback for lights at Lowes/HD. I called an electrical supply place and they recommended the brand they sell (Lithonia) but even they said that they wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have to change one or two ballasts out per year.

I really don't want to have to worry about the lights too much once I install them and was hoping someone here could chime in with thier experience.
btw- i'm looking to install either 4' or 8' lights.
Thanks very much,
Troy

Last edited by camaroguy; 05-29-07 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-07, 12:21 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
I have Lithonia fixtures in my garage that I purchased at Home Depot.

They are 96 inch, 2 tube high output type and as I recall I paid about $35-$45 each for them. I have a total of 5 fixtures and I have never replaced a tube or a ballast in the approximately five years they have been in place.

I have never had any problem with them starting in cold weather but it rarely gets REAL cold here and it is an attached garage containing my forced-air furnace and water heater. I think the coldest it has been outside is low to mid teens.

They do have a somewhat annoying buzz but then again they are industrial fixtures, or at least industrial type.

Old 05-29-07, 12:21 PM
J
How cold does your garage get in the dead of winter?

I've had a $10 shop light in my garage for more than ten years with zero problems.

Old 05-29-07, 12:27 PM
C
Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear something positive about the lights from the big box stores (except for the buzzing).

I'm not sure how cold the garage will get in the winter but I can say that we saw some single digit temps this year and some pretty nasty wind chills. I'd say if its real bad out, I won't be working in the garage much. Its a pole barn and I'm doing that styrofoam insulation which has very little R value but fits nice in between the 2x4's. The garage will eventually be heated so when I'm working out there it'll at least be 50 degrees I hope.