Smoke from fan

Reply

  #1  
Old 05-30-07, 03:53 AM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 295
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question Smoke from fan

Daughter turned ceiling fan/light on yesterday and noticed a spark and a bit of smoke. Fan and light still work. Do the spark and smoke indicate immediate replacement of the fan?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-30-07, 06:22 AM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: welland ontario
Posts: 7,525
Received 237 Votes on 208 Posts
Smoke is not good. I would not use the fan until you determine the source of the smoke.
Could be the fan speed control capacitor.
 
  #3  
Old 05-30-07, 06:32 AM
J
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depends on the amount of spark and smoke. Could the smoke have been just some dust instead? If real smoke, was it a very tiny amount? Sparks happen all the time in electrical stuff. Tiny sparks usually aren't much of a problem. Larger sparks are.

I would continue to monitor the fan for a while. But to be safe, don't leave it running unattended.
 
  #4  
Old 05-31-07, 03:15 AM
M
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 295
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks to both of you. Small spark, tiny puff of smoke and daughter said it happened again this morning. The fan will be off until I get a chance to look at it. Was thinking of taking the fan down and checking to see if there are loose wires. I hate to just replace the whole thing if I don't need to. On the other hand, installing a new fan is preferrable to a fire.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: