Ceiling Fan Wiring - Did I mess up bad?

Old 06-04-07, 04:03 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Wiring - Did I mess up bad?

Hi,
I am in a new house and the master bdrm wired for a fan - has one switch to control fan and another to control light. Bought a ceiling fan with a remote and installed it - left the red wire capped off and did not use. Used the black and white wires from the remote to the balack and white in the ceiling. Green from the downrod to the ceiling fan bracing green wire to the bare wire in the ceiling.
Once installed, the breaker in the basement for the bedroom tripped, reset it and everything worked. Then it tripped again, I reset it now the whole bedroom does not have any power. Big mess?
In the basement breaker box, the bed room breaker has a test button, when I press that the breaker does not trip. Could be a faulty breaker?
Time to seek professional help?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-07, 04:31 PM
J
Received 238 Votes on 209 Posts
disconnect the ceiling fan and try to reset the breaker. Your description of the connections sounds correct. Could be a defective fan or remote unit.

Old 06-04-07, 05:34 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sounds like a new house with an afci breaker. if the test button does not work, it sounds like a bad breaker. either that, or it is detecting a short and already tripped. AFCI breakers detect not only hot to ground/neutral shorts, but also neutral to ground shorts, it could be that you have a small strand of neutral wire hanging out of the wirenut and is shorting to ground, therefore tripping the breaker.