wiring fans and switches

Old 06-06-07, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring fans and switches

I am replacing a ceiling fan. I have 2 wall switches that are 3 way, with red,black, white wires going to the box. In that bow i have black, white wires that are hot and another set of wires going to wall outlets. I want to wire the fan and light fixture so that it can be turned on or off at either switch at any time. Can you please help me thanks Kevin.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-07, 07:15 AM
I don;t understand the question. Is this a new setup? Is this somethign that just doesn't work?

What are you starting from?

When you describe the setup, we need to know the wiring at the switches and at the ceiling. ALL the wiring. What cables exist, what wires are in those cables, and how are the wires connected to anything?

Old 06-06-07, 07:38 AM
There was a fan there with a light fixture. The switches ran the light, the fan was wired direct. The switch you turn it on with was the one you had to turn it off with. The wire from the cb is in the box with another set of wires run from the box to wall outlets. wires from the switches are red white black going up to the box without power on them. this is an old house and looks like self wiring job i hope this helps you thanks Kevin

Old 06-06-07, 08:07 AM
Ok i am back had to get at the switches. The hot wire in the box is connected to the wires going to the wall outlets, the switches are white and black on one side with white on top red is oppisite and on the top both switches are wired the same all other wires in the box are not connected at this time

Old 06-06-07, 08:11 AM
You have no provided the requested information.

We need to know the wiring at the switches and at the ceiling. ALL the wiring. What cables exist, what wires are in those cables, and how are the wires connected to anything?

It is not sufficient to talk about locations on the switches. Three way switches are NOT standard. When discussing the switches, talk about the common terminal and the traveler terminals. The traveler terminals will be the same color, and the common terminal will be a different color.

I will await your answer regarding the wiring at the switches and at the ceiling.

Old 06-06-07, 08:32 AM
I will try one more time. i have 4 cables in the ceiling box first one is from the breaker box white and black 2nd one comes from wall outlets white and black these 2 are connected together. I have one cable coming from one switch with white and black connected on one side with white on top and red on top of other side this cable goes to the ceiling box and is not connected at this time. The other switch located on oppisite wall is wired the same as the first switch and is going to the ceiling box and is not connected at this time. I would like to wire the ceiling fan so it can be turned on or off at either switch at any time .

Old 06-06-07, 08:52 AM
Much better.

Connect the black power wire at the ceiling to the black wire for one switch.

Connect the black wire for the other switch to the hot wires for the fan and light (could black, blue or other colors).

Connect the white wire(s) for the fan and light to the white power wire at the ceiling.

At the ceiling connect the red wires from each switch together with a wire nut.

At the ceiling connect the white wires from each switch together with a wire nut.

At each switch connect the black wire to the common terminal and the red and white wires to the traveler terminals.

At all locations connect all ground wires, and pigtail to the metal box and switches.

Before you start, draw this out on paper and figure out why this will work. You want to be able to understand what you are doing, not just do it.

Old 06-06-07, 09:22 AM
Thank you very much and i will draw it out thanks again Kevin

Old 06-06-07, 09:46 AM
Sorry to bother you again but what one is common terminal and what one is traveler terminal? It does not say what terminal is what on the switch.

Old 06-06-07, 09:49 AM
Yes it does. You just don't know how to read the switch. The traveler terminals (there are two of them) are the same color, usually silver. The common terminal is a different color, usually black.

Do not confuse either of those with the ground terminal (if there is one). It will be green.

Old 06-06-07, 09:51 AM
Ok thanks again i knew they were differant colors but didnt know what they were called Thanks Kevin

Old 06-06-07, 10:01 AM
Kevin,

I strongly suggest that you buy a book or two on home wiring. Any book would have told you exactly how to wire this. Further, any book will explain how three way and four way switches work, so that you can fully understand this.

You can start with the book "Wiring Simplified", available at the bog box stores or on-line. But then get at least one other. And then READ them.