Electric Fan

Old 06-06-07, 12:38 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric Fan

Hi: I need help. I needed to take the stand off of my electric fan so I took it apart, undid the wires( made sure i marked them) pulled the wires through and then redid the wires. Now it won't work. The solenoid will hum but not turn. In fact it seems like it becomes more resistant to turning.

any ideas? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-07, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Not sure of what solenoid you are referring to, but here goes. Is the fan reversible? Are all your connections tight, and how did you reconnect them? Did you use wire nuts, crimp ons?

Old 06-08-07, 07:21 AM
D
Thanks for the welcome.

The fan is a simple one direction fan. It has 3 power settings. The solenoid is the one that would be the main drive for the fan.

I had to cut the power wire so reconnected it with a twist cap. The neutral and ground were attached with crimp ons, but I reattached them wire nuts.

At first I thought it might be the power so I rechecked the connections and the seemed to be fine. I realized the the fan was humming but not turning. The hum gets stronger as I turn up the power settings. But instead of the solenoid turning stronger it seems to hold firmer in place.

what are the possible causes of this? the fan is brand new so age is not a factor.

thanks

Old 06-08-07, 08:04 AM
F
I dont know if you did hook up the "soilind wire " wrong did you mark all the wires before you cut it off ??

the best way is describe the fan motor in here then we can tell if you did hook it up in correct way other wise you got one of the winding wire hook up backward [ it do happend once a while ]

the soilonid cylinder you describing is actally a capaitor to start up the motor if the connection on that fail the motor will not spin up at all what you have to do with this make sure you UNPLUG or cut the power off from this fan motor and wait few min before you take the cover off and see the capaitor just dont touch the lead right away [ they can hold some pretty serious juice there ] and get a screw driver and " short it out " then go ahead and check for any loose connection there.

if good connection then somewhere some fan motor do have centifual switch that can get stuck also [ if fail to close then motor will not start ] [ if fail to open it will burn up the capaitor ] so check it out IF it have it

Merci , Marc

Old 06-08-07, 08:19 AM
D
OK Note* tu peut le dire en francais si tu veut*

I am just realizing that I am not using the right word for what I am asking. The part of the fan makes the fan spin is called what? I think it makes a electical current that rotates and draws the inner shaft around.

Old 06-08-07, 10:51 AM
F
this part i hope it will clear up some but the picture of this fan motour will be very simuiar but not the excat the same ;

http://www.cshincorporated.com/images/971.jpg

you will see the silver can on the motor that what it called capaitor that help to get the motor start up.

if the capapitor fail the motor will not turn just humm that all.

if more question please do post it here

Merci , Marc

Old 06-08-07, 11:38 AM
D
That seems like it would explain the problem. I hadn't touched any of the wires leading to the capacitor but I could have burnt it out?

Is there anyway to test this or do I need to go buy a replacement and try it?

All the connections look good.