evap cooler wires

Old 06-08-07, 01:42 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
evap cooler wires

I have one strand of romax running from my wall outlet up to the swamp cooler. My motor burned out in a years time. wires on the motor are red low, black high, white common.
the pump has white and black
inside the wall outlet the white wires are put into a union. I have a swamp multi switch. It has a place for the common, a black (motor high) and a black (pump hot) then the red wire is motor (low). Should I run a wire from the bundle of white wires to the switch common? Should all the white wires in the swamp cooler be bundled as a union? Or should the white wire just be left and not put a junction to the switch? I hope that makes sense ask questions if it doesn't Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 03:01 PM
J
Everything seems to line up one-to-one between the motor and switch wires, so that should be pretty straightforward. It seems that the only question is where the pump hot wire gets connected.

But yes, all white neutral wires would be connected together. Neutral wires don't get connected to switches. Note, however, that not all white wires are neutral.

And what you called the "common" on the switch is probably the input hot. I assume you have input power somewhere, although I cannot tell where from your post.

Old 06-08-07, 10:58 PM
J
Evap cooler

here is a pic of my switch. http://www.kennspenns.com/coolerparts/switch.html

I know this will be hard to explain what is what. I will try:
the cooler pump has two wires, Black and white. The motor has three wires, black, red and white. There are two romax wires up in the cooler.
The two romax coming into the wall box has been trimed so the romax coming in the top of the box has red, black, white, ground. In the bottom of the outlet box the other romax has white ,gound, and black I can see this wire coming down from the ceiling in an upper slot in the wall box.

Last year I used a on/off standard switch to run the cooler. So I know which Black runs the pump (lower romax) and that the red runs the motor (upper romax). Both were hot. Not sure what the upper romax black wire is for. I am also not the person who removed the wires in the swamp cooler so I have only a guess which wire goes to what in the cooler.
How do I test what the top romax black wire goes to? would I hurt anything if I assume that this wire is the second stage of the motor for slot #2
What wire goes in the lower slot on the switch (L1)?

Old 06-09-07, 07:36 AM
J
The part of this picture that is missing from your explaination is which cable is the feed from the house wiring system.

It sounds like you have two cables going from the switch to the cooler. A two conductor romex for the pump, and a three conductor for the motor.

On a side note, be very carefull using the word "Common". It is used in the trade for alot of things, and always brings up the question "common to what?" In your post you were using the word common when talking about the "neutral" or "grounded conductor" from your homes wiring system. The word "common" on a switch is a hot wire, not a neutral. It is common to the other terminals on that same switch.

Old 06-09-07, 10:44 AM
J
Evap cooler

I do not know which is the power from the house. I am going into the attic and maybe they used a house wire as a union up there. That is the only thing that makes sense. since the two pieces of romax in the switch box are hot but I don't see how. If this union is in the attic, can I leave it and just not put a black hot wire in L1 ? What is L1 for?

http://www.kennspenns.com/coolerparts/switch.html

Old 06-09-07, 11:09 AM
J
I do not want to sound like a PITA, but a "union" is a plumbing part used to connect two water lines where the ability to un-hook the lines and re-connect them easily is required. It is also a group of workers who band together for better wages and bennifits.

Unions are only used in electrical work in explosion proof applications where they are needed and look like the plumbing unions discribed above.

What you are talking about are called splices.

It may seem pedantic, but if we do not all use the same terms to discribe things, most of our communication is lost.

Old 06-09-07, 11:14 AM
J
Evap Cooler

Thank -you
I will go and check the splices in the attic to see if that is where the house hot is spliced into these wire.
What about L1 what does it do on the switch?

Old 06-09-07, 11:15 AM
J
The purpose of L1 is to feed power to the switch. Terminals 1, 2, and C are where the power goes depending on the switch positioin.

Power from L1 is connected to each of the others, or more than one at a time, depending on the manual switch position.

Old 06-09-07, 11:18 AM
J
Evap cooler

If L1 is suppose to be house power(hot) then why would 1, 2, and C be hot? I burned out a year old motor the way they have it wired now. I really wish to change this. I have a feeling the feed the wires down from the attic as a add-on.

Old 06-09-07, 11:38 AM
J
I was going by the drawing on the link you posted.

1,2, or C would be hot when the switch was in a certain postion.

I apologize if I am wrong, but the nature of your more recient questions suggests that you may not have enough experience to handle installing this switch.

Perhaps you should consider hiring an electrician.