Hard Wiring A Plug In Chandelier

Old 06-08-07, 03:44 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hard Wiring A Plug In Chandelier

Hello,

I was hoping someone might have some insight on a project I am working on. I purchased an old chandelier that is newely wired with125V 75W small bulb lighting. From the bulbs on the light, they connect into a power chord (2 prong).

I want to install it in place of my old dining chandelier (the wiring is very old ...2insulated wires going from dimmer switch to cieling.) that is currently hardwired to a dimmer switch. I tried looking to the dimmer switch to find out which wire is hot, but they look very dirty & similar.?

So basically I would like to hardwire the plug.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

-Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-07, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
How will the chandelier hang to keep tension off the power cable? If you can figure a way to keep tension off the wire, then just wire it directly to the two wires you have in the ceiling box. You will need to purchase a junction box bell if you don't already have one to hang the light from.

Old 06-08-07, 05:28 PM
U
There is already a solid hanging hook. no box though, simply a hook hanger with a cup that sits flush against the ceiling that hides IT and the Wiring.

I guess i was wondering if it is ok to hardwire any size type of bulb lighting.

And also how to find out which wire in the run from the dimmer switch to the light is the hot...The dimmer switch in place now does not specify. But the old light had two chords, both tan cloth shields, but one had red specks. Does this mean it is the hot?( i kept track of which wire going to the dimmer it was connected to.

-Hope I am making sense, thanks for the help,

Ben

Old 06-09-07, 07:57 AM
J
You should install a ceiling box while you are at all this. If you have no boxes, you may have old Knob and Tube wiring or old Cloth Romex. Wiggle the wires at the ceiling fixture around. If it is brittle, the wires need to be replaced.

To find the hot run an extension cord to a recepticle that you know works fine. Test from each wire, Carefully, at the light box to the ground wire in the extension cord. The one that reads 120v is the hot.

To find the neutral in the light, test for Ohms or Continuity (With The Power Off and Wires Disconnected) between the wires comming out of the light and the screw shell of the light sockets. Next test to the center pins. The center pins should be the hot wires and be controlled by the switch. The screw shell should be the neutral.

Old 06-11-07, 06:34 PM
U
Thank you

Thank you for your help, I will take it slow and see how it goes. It definitely is Knob & tube....and it looks pretty old.

Thanks again!
-Ben