Indoor Garage lighting change

Old 06-10-07, 04:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Indoor Garage lighting change

I'm thinking about changing the lighting in my garage. Currently there are only 2 single bulbs (the old pull chain type but hooked up to a 3 way switch). It's a two car garage, with one light in each bay.

I was thinking about putting either a flourescent on each side or a two flourescent on each side.

1 - can I just take the wiring that is there for the single bulb (after turning off the breaker of course LOL) and wire the flourescents in? I guess does the flourescent take the same amount of electricity/wiring.

2 - does the 3 way wiring (switch by outside door & switch by door to the inside) take any special wiring in the lights?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-07, 04:34 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you want to buy a "shop light" type fluorescent, they are usually cord-and-plug connected. It's pretty simple to replace the existing light fixture with a receptacle, hang the light nearby from its chains, and plug it in.

It's a simple job if you pay attention before disconnecting the existing light fixture. Simply take the wire from the gold screw of the existing light and connect it to the gold screw of the new receptacle, and do the same for the silver screw. For heavens sakes, don't disconnect anything else you see in the box. The 3-way switch setup is immaterial if you follow these rules. If you come here later and tell us that you took down the fixture without remembering how it was connected (and we see this a lot), your job will be ten times harder than it needed to be.