Half of the light works

Old 06-12-07, 07:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Half of the light works

Over our kitchen sink we had a cheap light with 2 bulbs that worked fine for years. One of the bulbs went out and I changed it, and it worked fine. The next day when I turned the light on the bulb was out again. I tested the bulb in another fixture, and it worked fine.
I disconnected the fixture,wires, and wired it back together again. The light worked that day, but the next day the same bulb would not light.
I thought that fixture went bad, so I bought a new fixture with 4 halogen bulbs, installed the fixture, and it worked well for a week. Now 2 of the bulbs won't light.
Any suggestions as to what the problem could be would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-07, 04:53 AM
R
Check the wiring. Sometimes a fixture with separate bulbs will have separate wires to connect them. ALL wires need to make good contact to complete the circuit for the lights to light.

As for the old fixture, it's possible that the bulb socket was worn out, and that you needed to (carefully and with the circuit breaker off) pull up on the tab inside the base of the socket.

Old 06-13-07, 06:06 AM
J
Received 238 Votes on 209 Posts
The first fixture probably had a bad socket or connection tothe socket. the second fixture problem is not related to the first problem. It could simply burnt out bulbs or defective fixture.

Old 06-13-07, 06:31 AM
J
Did the original fixture have incandescent or fluorescent bulbs?

Old 06-13-07, 06:51 PM
C
John - The last fixture was incandescent.

Racraft -I'll get my better half to take the new fixture down this weekend, and we'll check the wiring .

Joed - I'm not experienced with the Halogen bulbs, but I do know not to touch them. The bulbs were installed with the nifty little suction cup that came with it. Seeing how they were brand new and lit at first, is this something that I should be concerned with if it happens again?

Thank you all for your input...I'll keep you posted