New Ceiling fan install

Old 06-13-07, 10:03 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Ceiling fan install

I am trying to install a ceiling fan in my newborn daughters room. There was no ceiling fixture there before. The light switch used to power the top half of a plug recepticle. I ran a new wire from the ceiling fan to the light switch and wired the black and white to the screws on the side of the light switch.

In the wall plug recepticle, I disconnected the white and black wire that lead to the light switch. I then installed a new recepticle so that the top and bottom are always hot. Now I cannot figure how to properly run power from the recepticle to the light switch, and from the light switch to the fan. I keep blowing the fuse with my guess work. What is the proper way to do this? I can provide a picture if it helps. I really appreciate all the help I can get with this.

Thanks

Old 06-14-07, 04:18 AM
J
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he can have food forever..........if the fish are biting. We can explain your problem here, but I prefer to recommend books that will explain this and other household wiring problems. Check the book section of home and hardware stores. There are several good books on the subject, one is B&D home wiring. But if you are serious about doing your own home wiring, find 'Electrical Wiring Residentila', by Mullin.

Old 06-14-07, 07:54 AM
R
Unless the fan also has a light you are not allowed to do this. You must have a switch inside the door the controls either a light or a receptacle (or portion of a receptacle).

You keep "blowing fuses" because you are attaching the neutral wire to the switch. Where did you get the idea to do this? Only hot wires get attached to the switch.

Please buy and read several books on home wiring before proceeding. After reading the books we will be able to answer the questions you have.

Report back here with information regarding how you plan to satisfy the light or switched receptacle requirement and with the question you have.

Old 06-14-07, 09:02 AM
C
The fan does have a light on it. The switch already had a white and black wire attached to it so I didn't think there was a problem.

Old 06-14-07, 10:32 AM
R
The white wire attached to the switch was part of a switch loop, and was a hot wire.

You no longer have a switch loop, and are now using the white wire as a neutral wire. As such, when you placed the neutral on one terminal of the switch and the hot on the other and then opened the switch you created a short circuit, just as if you directly connected the wires with a wire nut.

In order to proceed, you need to understand what a switch loop is and how electricity works. You could have killed yourself with your wiring.

Old 06-15-07, 06:35 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
At the switch connect the two white wires together(not to the switch) with a wire nut.
Connect the grounds together.
If you only ran 2 wire cable then connect the two blacks to the switch.
If you ran a 3 wire cable to the fan then connect the two black together with a pigtail. connect the pigtail and the red wire from the fan to the switch. At the fan the red wire is the switched wire to use for the light. Use the black for the fan and use the pull chains to control the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: