switchless wall sconces? Help!

Old 06-15-07, 04:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
switchless wall sconces? Help!

I am replacing two wall sconces with new ones that don't have a switch, but I would like them to. The old ones had a simple black plastic rotary switch attatched to the bottom, but they are so ugly. I was thinking of just drilling a hole in the new fixture and installing another type of switch of the same, but i'd rather not risk it. The fixture mounts to the wall with a decorative cap nut located in the center of the fixture, is there any way to use that as the switch? Is there some way to put the switch into the cap nut and wire it through the mounting nipple so that it still secures it to the wall, but can be rotated or pushed in as a switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-07, 06:31 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not aware of a switch that can double as the securing nut. There are swirtches available that could be used elsewhere.

However, be careful of modifications to a fixture. You will void any UL or other safety rating the fixture may have and if not done properly you could create an unsafe setup. This would especially be true if the circuit is not grounded.

The best solution would be to install a switch to control the lights. Depending on the wiring, it could go on the wall below one of the lights, or it could go just inside the room if you can snake the wires...

Old 06-16-07, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
In addition, you may can install an electronic "touch" switch inside the canopy and have nothing protruding from the bell. All you do is touch the metal of the light and it cycles on and off.