problems wiring ceiling light

Old 06-18-07, 04:42 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question problems wiring ceiling light

Hi,
I am trying to install a new ceiling fixture but cannot figure out the wiring. My house is 5 years old. I have 2 white wires(wrapped together) a black wire and a red wire wrapped together and a single black wire coming from the ceiling box. My light fixture has a single black and a single white.
Any help how to connect would be appreciated. This is all new to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-07, 06:05 PM
R
THe most likely scenario is that the single black wire in the ceiling gets attached to the black wire for the light, and that the white wires in the ceiling get attached to the white wire for the lights.

However, I would use a tester to verify this, and you should too.

Old 06-18-07, 06:23 PM
J
Received 212 Votes on 188 Posts
Is there a switch that controls this fixture? Has there ever been a fixture there before? Were any of the wires connected to each other before you started this project.
If I had to guess I would conenct the black wires together. Connect the red wire to the fixture black wire. Connect the white wires together and to the fixture white wire.
The only way to be sure is test the wires for power and open the switch box and verify the connectoins at the switch as well.

Old 06-18-07, 07:17 PM
K
There is a switch to control the light and no there has never been a fixture there before. This particular location was in a part of our house that was not finished but was wired for when we were ready to complete.The wires that were connected to each other b/f I started was white to white and black to red and a single black all from the ceiling.I wasn't sure if the black and red wire(from the ceiling) should have been connected to the black from the fixture or the single black from the ceiling back to the black from the fixture. There is only one black and one white on the fixture.
Thanks for the help..i will definately test the wires.

Old 06-19-07, 05:36 AM
J
Received 212 Votes on 188 Posts
I think from your description that you had one black wire hanging loose alone. Connect the light to that single black wire and the group of whites. leave the rest of the preconnected wires alone.

Old 06-19-07, 05:53 AM
R
I repeat...

The most likely scenario is that the single black wire in the ceiling gets attached to the black wire for the light, and that the white wires in the ceiling get attached to the white wire for the lights.

Old 06-19-07, 09:50 AM
K
thank you both. i am at work right now but plan to install the fixture when I get home.I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 06-25-07, 04:27 PM
K
ok, so I connected whites from the ceiling to the white wire on the fixture and connected the single black from the ceiling to the black on the fixture. I left the red and black connected together (from the ceiling). No joy. At the switch there is 2 black. Any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Old 06-25-07, 07:17 PM
R
Check your wiring. Check ALL the wiring, at the switch and at the light. Use a meter on the wires and make sure that they have power. Tell us the wiring at the light.