Surface Mounted Light / Suspended Ceiling

Old 06-19-07, 06:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Surface Mounted Light / Suspended Ceiling

Good day DIYers and Pros;

Once again I'd like to call upon you all for some advice. Here's my situation...

I'm about to hang a suspended ceiling and have all the light housings for all my recessed lights installed and working. I have 3 lights I need to be surface mounted. 2 will be spot lights for a dart board and 1 will be a billiards light. All my light housings are hung 4" below my rafters to align with where my ceiling will be hung. What I'm not to sure of is the preparation needed to allow a surface mounted light to be installed that 4" below the rafters. At this point in time the electrical wiring is terminated in a box up in the rafters.

What I'm curious of is the preparation needed to bring the wiring down that 4" to allow the surface mounted lights to be installed as well as support for the billiards light with has some weight to it.

Any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-07, 08:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 72 Posts
You will need to mount a fixture box flush with the finish surface of the ceiling tile. Look in the upper left corner of this link for the round box with the fixture bar. The bar would get secured to the ceiling grid. Extend the wiring using the appropriate method by splicing into the existing box mounted on the joist down to the new box. Cover the splice point with a blank cover.

http://www.carlon.com/scripts/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=Zip%20Box%20Blue%20Outlet%20and%20Switch%20Boxes&tn=1

Old 06-19-07, 09:14 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

Thanks a million PCBoss. That makes perfect sense now.