Changing ceiling fan with dimmer to regular pendant light

Old 06-20-07, 08:15 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing ceiling fan with dimmer to regular pendant light

I am trying to switch an existing ceiling fan with light and dimmer that controlled light only with a 3 light pendant and dimmer control. Here's what I've done but it will only turn light on and dimmer won't dim or control light at all. From the ceiling there is a white and a black already capped off.
I connected the 2 other blacks together, the 2 whites with the white to the light and the red to the black to the light. At the dimmer I have 2 blacks coming from the switch and 1 green. Green is connected to ground. Coming out of the wall box is white, black and a red. I put black to black and red to other black of dimmer and white is left capped off, but now light will only stay on permanently and dimmer does nothing. What's the problem? This was supposed to be an easy switch over, lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-07, 08:25 AM
R
You should have duplicated the existing wiring.

If at all possible, tell us how things were wired BEFORE you made any changes.

Tell us all the cables at the ceiling. Tell us what wires are in those cables and how those wires are connected to anything.

Tell us all the cables at the switch. Tell us what wires are in those cables and how they are connected.

Old 06-20-07, 08:26 AM
G
I can't tell you how it was before for sure...boyfriend says thats how they were...lol...I warned him! I would have took a digital photo shot before unhooking the fan but he figured he'd remember now we are stuck in this mess.

Old 06-20-07, 07:58 PM
G
Does anyone have clue?

Somebody must know what the problem is....anyone with some advice would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-20-07, 08:42 PM
R
I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions.

Old 06-21-07, 06:12 AM
G
Ya but I already detailed how they are now in the not working mode....my boyfriend undid the fan and failed to remember how it was hooked up.
But here is what I have....a capped off white and capped off black. 2 more blacks and 2 whites and a red...that's all at the ceiling.

The new light we wish to install has black and white wire.

The wall for switch has white, 1 black and 1 red.

The dimmer switch (new one) has 2 blacks and a green.

Old 06-21-07, 06:56 AM
R
Tell us all the cables at the ceiling. Tell us what wires are in those cables and how those wires are connected to anything.

Tell us all the cables at the switch. Tell us what wires are in those cables and how they are connected.

You are making this much more difficult than it has to be. I need to see what you have. Since I cannot see it, I need to know in complete detail.

Tell me what cables exist. Tell me what wires are in those cables, and tell me what those wires are connected to.

Old 06-21-07, 10:27 AM
G
last kick at the can

From Ceiling hole
blue cable with black, white, red and copper
blue cable with black, white and copper
blue cable with black, white and copper

From Light
black and white

From Switch hole
one cable with black, white, red, and copper

Dimmer Switch
has 2 blacks side by side and a green

From that what goes to what?

Old 06-21-07, 10:42 AM
R
You refuse to make this easy. Oh well, I can deal with it. If you had provided full details yesterday, we could have been done with this.

At the switch connect the red and black wires to the dimmer black wires. Connect the bare copper wire to the green wire of the dimmer and to the box if it is metal. Cap the white wire.

At the ceiling connect the black wires of the three cables together. Connect the red wire to the black wire of the light. Cap the white wire from the black/red/white cable. Connect the remaining white wires together (including the white wire of the light). Connect the ground wires together and connect to the box, if it is metal.

I think that YOU could have figured this out if you drawn out the wiring. I urge you to make a drawing and to understand why this works. You need to understand this, as it is actually very trivial wiring, and understanding this will help you in your next electrical project, whatever it is.

Old 06-21-07, 11:05 AM
G
I will try that. What was confusing was that i never did unconnect the ceiling fan originally and boyfriend tried numerous different scenarios in attempt to get it working. Originally when he pulled off old ceiling fan he said that 2 wires were capped and I'm unsure if he mixed them up or not. I never would have attempted the project the way he did now I'm just trying to fix the god darn mess as I want my kitchen light back....it's been a week. I hope this works cuz if it doesn't I'm calling an electrician....behind the boyfriends back lol.

Old 06-21-07, 11:13 AM
R
As I am sure you figure out, there was no reason to change any of the wires that were not directly connected to the old fan and light. All you needed to do was to look at what wires were connected to the old light, and connect those same wires to the new light.

Old 06-21-07, 03:25 PM
G
Okay I will repeat again.....it would be nice to know which wires were connected to what in the first place....being that SOMEONE else disconnected the fan without remembering what was hooked up makes this project freakin difficult. All he remembers is that one white and one black from ceiling hole were capped off and he is not sure if he mixed those up now after trying different combinations. I tried what you told me exactly like you said and dammit it still didn't work. Does it make any difference that what WAS up there was a ceiliing fan with halogens and a dimmer that controlled only the lights and now I am just going to a incandescent 3 light pendant fixture with no fan???? this is seriously driving me mad as it shouldn't be this hard and I know that but for some reason it ain't working. I tried the same way you told me but with a regular light switch and still light won't turn on but tester tells me all blacks have power. Also at the switch if I tested for power should I have any power there at all? And can you verify what the red is to me?

Old 06-21-07, 08:47 PM
R
If you told me ALL the cables and all the wires in both locations, and followed my instructions then it will work. I suggest that you use your tester (you do have one right?) and test for power. Perhaps you destroyed the dimmer.

This isn't rocket science. One pair of wires (a black one and white one) bring power into the ceiling box. The other pair of black and white wires takes power to some other are of the circuit.

I am then telling you to take constant power to the switch on the black wire of the black/white/red cable. You will then use the red wire to bring switched power back to the ceiling. The light will then be powered with the switched red, and the white wires. The white wire of the black/white red/ cable will not be used.