Trying to change chandelier into a plug-in...

Old 07-01-07, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to change chandelier into a plug-in...

Hey everybody!

A friend of mine had this old, tacky brass chandelier in his basement and, seeing potential in it, I took it off his hands. I guess, however, that I did not really consider the difficulty and expense of what I wanted to do.

My idea: Since I'll be in a dorm room next year and thus cannot hang anything from ceilings, I had the notion of making, essentially, an upside-down-chandelier floor lamp (in a dashing chocolate brown color) that could plug into a regular electrical outlet. I'm not too worried about the stability aspect of it, since I procured the stalk and base of an old, heavy floor lamp and the chandelier itself is not too large. However, the fixture is hardwired (that is, I hope, the correct term. I am a complete newbie) and I need some pointers on what to do.

It has three wires, none of which appear to be color coded in any way (which is the most troubling thing to me!). Two are encased in insulation and joined together. One is not. See picture at: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Dr.Doomz/IMG_0293.jpg . The ceiling plate thing has a sticker that reads: E87611 "YCL" I do not know the significance of that. The chandelier has six arms, with a 60W/120V bulb in each. See picture at: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Dr.Doomz/IMG_0292.jpg .

I did come across "swag kits," but nothing I found on the internet really explained them to the point where I was sure that I could use them. Nor did they make any statement about the sort of wiring required.

Basically, I am completely clueless and would just love a place to start this project. Since I'm going to be living in close proximity with other people, I want to do this safely... or not at all. Can I convert this chandelier to a plug-innable fixture without electrocuting everyone or starting a fire? How expensive and difficult is it to do so? And why do my wires not have any colors?

Thanks a bunch!

~Kate

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-07, 04:55 AM
The two insulated wires are power and the third is the ground. One of the insulated wires should have parallel ridges in the insulation.

You'll have to take the lamp apart to find a place inside the lamp where you can remove the old wires and attach your new cord with plug. Usually this is near the junction where the arms attach to the body. As you take the lamp apart, lay the parts out on a table exactly the same way they came off the lamp.

Remove the chain and ceiling plate and use the old wires to pull in the new.

Make the new connections exactly the same way as the old ones.

Don't forget to route the parts through the new cord before you attach it. You won't be able to get the parts around the plug after the fact.

Old 07-02-07, 10:32 AM
My main concern with mounting a chandelier upside down would be heat. Mounted in the normal way, the heat from the bulbs is directed up and away from the fixture. Mounted upside down, the heat goes up and into the fixture. I've seen fixtures melt when mounted in orientations other than the one for which they were designed.