Collar on porcelain pull string ceiling light

Old 07-02-07, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Collar on porcelain pull string ceiling light

I have to replace a pull-string ceiling light (porcelain) in an unfinished basement. The old one has a porcelain collar that screws around the outside of the bulb's metal socket, but none of the new ones I've seen in the store or on-line have it. The collar from the old one doesn't seem to fit into/onto the new fixture. Do I need the collar for any reason (e.g., to meet code)?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-07, 09:50 AM
If I am understanding your question, you do not need a fixture with a collar. Old porcelain fixtures had this removable collar to allow certain bulb covers to be installed. New fixtures will not accept these old bulb covers, which I am not sure are even available any longer.

Buy a new porcelain or even plastic fixture and install it. I prefer plastic as they wont; break if you drop it while installing it or over tighten the screws. However, this is NOT an endorsement to over tighten the screws.

Old 07-02-07, 12:40 PM
Bob, thanks for your quick reply! This is indeed an older light fixture (probably 30 years or so). I was concerned because the other 3 pull string fixtures in the basement had the same collar and I found an inspector's checklist online at: http://www.inspectusa.com/train/electrical_train.htm

that seemed to point out these collars. Item 8 under C. "General Wiring" is what had caught my eye.

I'll go ahead and replace the fixture with the newer style. Thanks again.