Pull chain on ceiling fan

Old 07-09-07, 07:54 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pull chain on ceiling fan

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that is 10 years old. The pull chain no longer turns on the second tier of brighter lights. A pull on the chain would turn on the 4 bulbs in addition to the one bulb that is covered by a glass cover. I can turn on the additional 4 bulbs when I pull the chain but they will not stay on when I release the chain. Is this a problem that can be fixed or after 10 years something hard to fix and/or expensive has worn out? Thanks.

Old 07-09-07, 08:15 PM
J
Received 297 Votes on 255 Posts
If you can find one changing the swithc will fix the problem.

Old 07-09-07, 08:38 PM
Y
Question Pull chain came off.

2nd ceiling chain post in one night!

I have 10 year old Hunter celing fan. The pull chain came off. I have to take it apart to fix it but I want to know if this is a doable fix. I could post a link to have a picture of it if anyone wants to look at the type of model it is. Right now I cannot turn the fan blades on. Thanks.

Old 07-09-07, 08:39 PM
J
You can get a replacement pull-chain switch at the big box stores. Just got one a couple of weeks ago.

Is this 2 separate pull-chains, or just one with 2 levels? You may want to remove the old switch and take it with you. They are generally very easy to remove.

Old 07-09-07, 08:44 PM
Y
2 chains

It is has 2 chains - one for the blades and one for the two lights (one bulb/4 bulbs). I guess my concern is getting in there to change the switch. Is it simple to take a part and get in there to change it? Want a link so I can post a picture of the model?

Old 07-10-07, 05:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You can post a picture on a site such as photobucket.com and give us the url. But removing the switch and taking it with you will be imperative since you must match the stepping (multiple positioning). Take a picture of the wiring before you take it apart. That way you can hook it back up correctly once you have the new switch.

Old 07-11-07, 10:39 PM
Y
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You can post a picture on a site such as photobucket.com and give us the url. But removing the switch and taking it with you will be imperative since you must match the stepping (multiple positioning). Take a picture of the wiring before you take it apart. That way you can hook it back up correctly once you have the new switch.
Here is the pic.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/yellowsubmarine_album/?action=view&current=DSCN3047-1.jpg

Old 07-11-07, 10:40 PM
Y
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Here is the pic.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/yellowsubmarine_album/?action=view&current=DSCN3048.jpg

Old 07-11-07, 10:45 PM
Y
Ceiling fan pull cord came out

I actually posted this before but someone deleted the thread. I have two posts going in this forum because I have two different ceiling fan problems. This problem pertains to a fairly nice Hunter ceiling fan and the blade rotation pull cord came out. The fan is 10 years old and the lights work. Is the cord replacement doable without it being a major pain or should I replace the fan? Here is a pc and thanks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb251/yellowsubmarine_album/?action=view&current=DSCN3048.jpg

Old 07-12-07, 04:57 AM
The thread is still there with all the answers. The pix confirms what we said, that the switch will probably need replacing. You will need to remove the light fixture, blades and cover (with power off, of course). You will see the switch and its wiring within the cover. Remove the switch, take a pix of the wiring, unwire it and take it with you to the supply house. Installation is reverse.

Old 07-12-07, 07:49 PM
Y
Thanks but the thread is gone again. I did a search for all my posts and it looks like someone deleted my other ceiling fan question for the second time. Why is that?

Old 07-13-07, 05:10 AM
We've got this post, so let's proceed with it, since it basically is the same question. Not sure about the other unrelated post.

Old 07-15-07, 08:49 AM
Y
Thanks

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

I posted it again. Here is the link.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?p=1203597#post1203597

Old 07-15-07, 09:09 AM
R
yellowsubmarine,

Please do not make duplicate posts. This is not allowed.

Old 07-15-07, 01:49 PM
B
I suggest turning the power off at the breaker panel not just at the switch.

Old 07-15-07, 05:01 PM
Y
Originally Posted by racraft View Post
yellowsubmarine,

Please do not make duplicate posts. This is not allowed.
I understand and agree 100% but there are two different fans and two different problems involved. One fan is a hunter and the chain broke off. The other fan is a hampton bay and the internal light mechanism failed. I am not a DIY pro and before I take things apart, I want to know if I can get it back together. Can I post the other problem?

Old 07-15-07, 06:33 PM
R
If you have a different problem, make it clear that it is a different problem, with a different fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: