Wiring for a new outdoor ceiling fan

Old 07-12-07, 07:46 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring for a new outdoor ceiling fan

I just got an awning installed and am wanting to put up a ceiling fan on it. The closest power supply is a porch light which is linked to a switch right on the inside of the door. I am wanting to run the power to the fan from the light but I would like for it to be a constant power supply to the fan instead of power being determined by the switch because the fan will have a remote which will turn it off and on. Im not sure if its possible but think that this would be the easiest way. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-12-07, 07:49 AM
R
We can't answer your question until and unless we know the wiring (ALL the wiring) at the porch light.

Old 07-12-07, 07:55 AM
G
The wiring ends at the porch light and it is just a standard light fixture.

Old 07-12-07, 08:44 AM
R
Well then you do not have constant power at the light. Either you will need to replace the wire from the switch to the light or you will need to get constant power from somewhere else.

Old 07-12-07, 08:56 AM
G
I never stated that I had constant power to the light. I said that i would like constant power (always on) to the fan. Could I just "branch" off of the light fixture somehow or would I have to "branch" off of one of the switches from the inside?

Old 07-12-07, 09:10 AM
R
If you don't have constant power at the light then you can't branch from there to the fan and have constant power at the fan, unless you redo the wiring.

You will have to find constant power somewhere else. Yes, the light switch has constant power (since you don't have constant power at the light). Whether you can branch from the switch depends on the current setup at the switch. If you can branch from the switch, I recommend installing a switch for the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: