Ceiling light won't turn off

Old 08-01-07, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ceiling light won't turn off

I replaced a ceiling light in bathroom. Also on ceiling an existing light/exhust fan. One outlet with two switches control new light and light/fan combo. Hooked up new light (similar to one taken down), and won't turn off after I turned power back on. Fan/light combo works fine. Heres the wiring I did. Existing wires: Blue(only one hot), blue, yellow to new Black wire. Existing wires: 3 Beige, white to new white wire. Did a couple different combos and this is the one that came the closest to working. What am I doing wrong?Don't remember how the original light was wired. Can someone please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-07, 09:52 AM
You need to tell us ALL the wiring. What you have told us makes no sense since we don;t know what goes to what. We need to know all the cables and all the wires in those cables. We also need to know the wiring at the switch.

Old 08-01-07, 11:23 AM
That is all the wiring. I have replaced lights before and the wires always matched up. This is different because of the exhust fan is part of it. Here is how the wires come out of the metal box in the ceiling. 4 Holes. Hole 1- Beige wire. Hole-2 Blue, & beige wires. Hole-3 White wire. Hole 4-Yellow, & blue wires. There are red and black wires in the box but they arent connected to anything, they go back into the ceiling. Does that ans. your question?

How do I find out the wiring for the switch and what will it tell me?

Old 08-01-07, 12:02 PM
I'm still a bit confused, but slightly less so than before.

From the ceiling, it sounds like you have a total of eight wires. Is that correct? You said that the red and black wires go back into the ceiling. Can you be more precise about that? Are these wires that are merely coming in and back out of the ceiling box with no splices in them at all? I.e., they are uncut wires that are passing through the box?

So if all that is correct, now tell us what wires you have on your fixture. Then tell us what the installation instructions say about how to connect them. Then tell us the make and model number of the fixture.

You mentioned a light and light/fan combo. Is that one fixture or two? If two, which one are you having trouble with?

Old 08-01-07, 01:11 PM
Smile

Ok here it goes. There are 7 wires coming from the box on the ceiling. The red and black wires are snaked through the holes in the box and just go into the ceiling. The new fixture has 2 wires that are to be connected. One black one white. It's called Pristine Ceiling Light Model 351-2647, from Menards. I unscrewewd the light switch and heres what I saw. If your facing the switch on the left, 1 or 2 blue wires were attached (didn't want to pull it out to much thats why I couldnt tell if it was 1 or 2 wires). On the right side, the upper wire was yellow and the lower wire was red. The upper switch turns the (new) light on. The lower switch turns the fan/light combo on. I also just noticed that the 7 wires hanging down from the box also control the lights over the sink in the bathroom. Hope that ans. your questions. Thank you for being so patient. I recounted the wires 1-beige, 2-beige & blue, 3-white, and 4-yellow, beige, and blue. Sorry

Old 08-01-07, 05:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hopeully you have only played around with the wire combinations within 2 wire nuts you must have undid up at the ceiling.

IF that is true, can you tell us the wires that are wire nutted together that you have NOT touched? (We already know that the black and red wire that loop up into the ceiling have not been touched).

For anyone here that wants to put forth the effort to solve this, as this is solveable, you have to be willing to stick this out to the end, because that way people here, I'm sure, will be willing to draw out diagrams, or whatever it takes, to help you unravel this mystery if you stay with us on this one.

Old 08-01-07, 07:19 PM
The only wires I haven't touched are the black and red because they didn't have any ends to connect. Looked like the red wire went to the light switch. Haven't come across where the black wire is connected. Does that answer your question? Hopefully I can get this solved with help from the board. Thank you for all your help. I don't give up easy and will follow this to the end.

Old 08-02-07, 08:24 AM
Help, I still haven't been able to fix this problem!!!

Old 08-02-07, 08:45 AM
Because you didn;t pay attention to and mark (or otherwise identify) the wires attached to the old light, you are going to test the wires and figure out which set of wire is switched and which is not. There is little we can do to help you with this.

Old 08-02-07, 09:13 AM
Ok so how do I test the wires. I know how to test for the hot wire, but how do I know which wire goes to the switch to turn the light off?

Old 08-02-07, 09:41 AM
The switched wire will be hot when the switch is on and open (not hot) when the switch is off.

Look for at the various conduits that feed wire into the box. When wires enter a conduit at one end, they exit at the other end. You didn't provide enough detail about the wiring at the switch (such as whether or not all the wires came from the same conduit, but I suspect they did) The other end of that conduit is likely this ceiling box.

Old 08-02-07, 10:08 AM
Ok so when i find the switch wire what does it get attached to? The neutral or the hot wires?

Old 08-02-07, 10:16 AM
The switched wire will be hot (when you have the switch on). It gets attached to the hot wire for the light.

The neutral wire of the light gets attached to the other neutrals.

Old 08-02-07, 12:32 PM
Talking Success

It works!! All three lights that are concected from that one box work. I put all neutral wires together, 2 blues together, and yellow went with the black wire from the new light. Thanks for all the help, couldn't have done it without you.