2 Ceiling fan install - Vaulted ceiling - No attic access?

Old 08-07-07, 12:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2 Ceiling fan install - Vaulted ceiling - No attic access?

Hi all,

I've got a room that is roughly 20x25, and has a single light at the top (off center) of a slopped/vaulted ceiling. The room is above the garage, and gets very very hot in the central Ca. summer. The house is about 5 years old.
I'd like to install two ceiling fans. 1 at the mid point of each half of the slopped ceiling. The ceiling fans are probably about as big and heavy as they come, being 60" width. I'm not sure the weight, but they are heavy. There is no attic access in this vaulted room and no exposed beams.

I have a few questions:

1. What's the best way to wire this? Run wire from the existing light down the inside of the ceiling and pull it to the junction box? Would that require some kind of conduit, or can the wire lay on the top of the sheetrock (inside ceiling)? Or, run the wire along the outside (on the ceiling)? Can this external application be 'decently' hidden?

2. What is the best way to install the junction box on each half of the ceiling? Cut out just enough between the rafters and put some kind of expandable bracket between the rafters and then attach a metal junction box to it? Will something like that hold 'heavy' ceiling fans? Any recommendations? Or, should I cut out enough sheetrock between two rafters in order to nail in a 2x4 and then secure the junction box to it? I'd like to keep the sheetrock repair to a minimal (or none) if possible, but will deal with that if it's the best way.

Any pointers and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, I have installed about 5 ceiling fans before. All to existing light fixtures, in newer construction, with metal junction boxes in place already. So running the wires & getting the correct junction box installation (heavy duty) is new to me and a bit of a concern (weight).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-07, 12:47 PM
1. Yes, you can just run the cable from the existing light down to the location of the fans. The cable can simply rest on top of the drywall. No conduit needed in most cities.

2. Buy fan brace kits, available at all home centers and fan stores. They come with an expandable bar and a heavy duty fan-rated box.

Old 08-08-07, 01:35 PM
Thumbs up

thanks for the information John. I'll check out my local h/w store for the expandable brackets.