Yikes. (Light Fixture Conversion To Ceiling Fan)

Old 08-09-07, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yikes. (Light Fixture Conversion To Ceiling Fan)

Ok husband decided to replace a light in the garage with a ceiling fan. The only problem is that he didnt note the original wiring configuration inside the box. I am more experienced but Im at a loss. Here is what we have: There are 4 sets(1red, 1black, 1ground) of wires coming into the junction box on the ceiling. As near as I can tell one set is from the switch in the wall that controls the light, one set (same side) is from the garage door opener button on the wall, one set goes to the plug the garage door opener is plugged into and the the last set appears to come from the main panel. Is this do-able. Any help would be appreciated as I have a ton of wires hanging out of my ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-07, 08:33 PM
Question

Do you mean you have 4 cables and each cable contains 1 red, 1 black, and one ground? What color is what you refer to as ground? Is it bare copper or is it a wire with green insulation? Might the red wires actually be whites wire that has been miscolored?

Old 08-09-07, 09:01 PM
Yes, sorry my bad, 4 cables 1white, 1black, 1bare copper.

Old 08-09-07, 09:40 PM
Smile

I am a novice but let me give it a shot. A pro will come along shortly. The cable that "appears " to come from the main panel is more than likely the "power in" to the juction box from the main panel's circuit breaker for that branch circuit. You can confirm this if you have a voltmeter and check voltage between the white and black wire of this cable. You have to be very carefull and know what you are doing???? Electricity can kill very quickly if it goes across your heart (in other words into one hand across your heart and out your other hand ) The cable that goes to the receptacle that the garage door opener is plugged into would be connected to these two "power" wires. If they are indeed the two wires from the main panel?? I wonder wether the cable that you think goes to the garage door button is actually any of these wires??? The other two cables I'm guessing (like I said I'm a novice) might be the cable that goes to the what you said you thought was the light switch . The fourth cable would then "I'm thinking" go to the light fixture(where you want to put the fan. If this is the case I'll wait and let a pro tell you specifically how to join all the wires. They'll come along soon. Wonder if my hypothesis is correct?

Old 08-09-07, 10:16 PM
Smile

While wer'e waiting for the pro's I have given some more thought to your situation. The garage door opener button wires I'm pretty certain goes to a low voltage transformer located in the garage door opener circuitry. With power of at the box we are discussing (be certain there is absolutely nothing "live" in there), you can, very easily , check with a continuity tester wich cable might go to the switch. Simply put the continuity tester leads to the two wires you think goes to the switch. Have your husband flip the switch on and off and see if the continuity tester or beeper goes on and off. One thing I failed to ask you is does the light you are wanting to replace with the fan directly connected to the box we are talking about? Also something to consider is hanging a fan requires considerable more support than a light fixture.

Old 08-09-07, 10:44 PM
ok sorry for the delay here ,,

ok for the garage wireing here what you have to do this get the volt meter or neon test light and separted all the wires in the box you have there first but look for a pair [ make sure the power is off first before you do anything first please ]

please note here we will not disscused the ground wire either green or bare we will leave this part alone.,

for all other wires follow the directions here first thing is make sure you have each pair of black and white but dont let each one touch each other at all ,, then turn on the power on for a sec and use the test light to check each pair so once you find the incomming power then turn off the breaker and mark the wire " incomming " then what you will have to do next if this garage attic space is open you can able trace the wires for each one and mark it down but this what i will do make sure to verify it one wire from wall repectale and mark it with the tester [ by conuinty or ohmmeter ] then you do the same with the switch loop if you understand the term mark that one as switchloop and find other pair for garage door opener repectale when that all accounted for then what you will have to do here

set the switchloop pair aside for a min get other three white wire and get a pigtail add to this [ it will make it easier later ] and wirenutted this when ya get done

then take the line black and two repectales and now take one black wire from switchloop and wire nutted all together no pigtail on this one then take the white wire from switch loop mark it black or blue with marker or red marker that is swtiched hot then you can hook up the fan and light in convetal way if you need more question ask us we will help ya in this fourm

Merci , Marc

Old 08-09-07, 10:53 PM
He had already purchased and installed the new junction box with braces. Out of the two cables I thought were switches only one had continuity. I have no idea what the other one is. It comes from the same hole in the attic which is above the switches. With the power on it is hot while the switch cable is not. This is getting really complicated.

Old 08-09-07, 11:40 PM
Smile

Hang in there wer'e getting warm. Perhaps the word "switch-loop that Marc referred to caused you some anxiety(lol) "Me to a while back" (lol) I'll try to clarify for you in short order. " So " what I as the novice Sherlock wanna-be surmise so far is this. One cable must be power in (The "hot pair"). Cable 2 (however you're labeling them as Marc recommended) are the wires going to the switch (that originally controlled the light) These two wires are referred to as the "switch loop" wires because they "loop to the switch before powering the light , if the light is located at the box we are discussing versus in another location away from the box we are discussing. (I failed to include this correctly in my original interpretation of your FOUR cables ( sorry bout that ) So that's 2 cables. The third cable wer'e pretty sure goes to the garage door opener receptacle (plug as you call it) correctomundo?? So now we have only one mystery cable that we don't know where it goes. Perhaps it goes to power "another receptacle somewhere in your garage?? The garage door opener switch is, I still believe from a low voltage transformer and I don't believe you have to concern yourself with it. HANG IN THERE Isn't this exciting (lol) The Moderators will be here in short order.

Old 08-09-07, 11:56 PM
It did scare me, but I looked it up and actually tried it. It half worked-got the light to work but not the garage door opener. My biggest problem is that no matter what combination I try I cannot get it all to work-either the light works or the garage door works but not both at once. The mystery cable has to be as you say, but how do I connect it all and make it work. Im not sure I would use exciting--maybe something harsher....You all have been amazing though thank you so much for your time and continued help

Old 08-10-07, 12:47 AM
Smile

Ok here goes____I will give it my best, but remember I am a Novice and would recommend that you have "confirmed" with one of the Moderators, before poweing up my plan. If I was at the location I'm confident of my self that I could figure out in quick order how to hook it up. I am new at these online descriptions. The Moderators (who may be now unconcious ie Sleeping) are really masters at sorting out your situation in very quick order, so be patient. So Here's what I think you can prepare to do for the Moderators when they awaken. This description is only if the Mystery cable does indeed go to another receptacle somewhere. Here goes. Take "all" the white wires (except for the one coming from our "switch cable") and tie them all securely together under one "big" wire nut. (this will be four wires) Step 2) Take all the black wires ( not the black wire from your light ie fan ) AND the white wire from our "switch cable" and place them underneath one wire nut (this is four wires underneath one wirenut) Soo underneath this wirenut you will have three black wires and one white wire (make sure it's the white wire from our switch cable) . Step 3) tie underneath one wirenut the black wire from the "switch cable" and the black wire "from" the fan itself. ( if the fan has more than two wires check back with me first). I think that's it. I will now proof-read what I have described and, because I am a novice (I don't want to experiment with your safety) I request that you wait for the Moderator to first read my post ( they'll be here) and verify if indeed my plan is correct and safe for you to power up. Respectfully Sidecutter

Old 08-10-07, 05:52 AM
Understand that if you do not have a switched light in the garage that you have likely created a code violation unless this ceiling fan also contains a light.

Tell us the wiring at the switch to be certain.

The most likely scenario is that all black wires get connected. The red wire gets connected to the power in to the fan. All the white wires get connected and to the neutral in to the fan.

Old 08-10-07, 06:35 AM
Smile

Ok, I am replacing a switched light with a light/ceiling fan combination.
Sidecutter THANK YOU!!!!!! It worked everything works you are wonderful, I was up til 4am messing with this. You all have saved my sanity and I really cant thank you enough. Hubby will no longer have to do this stuff-lucky man-he thanks you too.