Old torchiere lamp w/ mogul socket

Old 08-11-07, 10:38 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Old torchiere lamp w/ mogul socket

Hello. I have an old torchiere lamp with a mogul socket. It had an adapter for a standard bulb, which I removed. I found a dime wedged in the mogul socket, I guess to make contact, which I know can't be good. I want the lamp to have 3 way capability, and from what I have read, there is no such thing as a 3 way adapter. Is this correct? I don't know what the inside of a mogul socket should look like, but am assuming there is something wrong, hence the dime, unless that was wedged in solely to make contact with the adapter.

I removed the dime, but don't feel comfortable with the idea of trying a bulb. I need to know how to remove the mogul socket for replacement. There are 4 small screws inside, which most likely need to be removed, but is there a way to remove the switch first? I have replaced sockets before, but not this type. While I'm at it, maybe it should be rewired too? Sorry if I sound like a dope, but I don't want to cause more trouble for myself, and if it's too complicated, maybe I will leave it to a professional. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-07, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can purchase a 3 way base and install it on your application. The mogul base should be screwed on a ferrule through which your wires run. Try unscrewing it or releasing those screws so it will pull off. Oh yeah, be sure it is unplugged! Post back once you get the mogul off and let's see if we can help fix it.