New bathroom exhaust fan vibrations

Old 08-17-07, 05:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New bathroom exhaust fan vibrations

My wife and I are in the middle of renovating our bathroom, and part of that is changing out all of the drywall for moisture resistant drywall. We are also replacing our junky exhaust fan with a much better one.

After all of the drywall was off, we removed the existing fan and installed the new one. We anchored it in five places, though only on the one side of the fan that was close The new one had a larger duct, so we got a reducer and effectively taped it to the adapter and existing ducting, then attached and taped it to the fan housing. We tested it out, and it was great! Extremely quiet and no vibrations.

A few days later, we put up the ceiling and some walls. We cut a hole in the ceiling with a drywall router around the fan and tried it out. No problems still. We used the fan to get out some fumes of a cleaning product, and again had no problems.

However, we used the fan yesterday, and there is a rhythmic, intermittent vibration now. Part of the fan is leaning against the drywall hole, but when I feel the drywall, it isn't vibrating with the fan.

Any idea what is going on and how I could deal with it?

Old 08-17-07, 06:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I know it is hindsight, but anchoring the fan only on one side may have the effect you describe. You should have run another perlin between the joists and give it another anchor point. During your work process, you may have picked up enough dust and moisture to embed it on one of the blades causing it to be imbalanced. Easy to check. Clean the blades thoroughly and retry it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: