Gas Pipe near recessed lighting

Old 08-23-07, 06:48 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Pipe near recessed lighting

I cut holes for some recessed lighting in my ceiling. The lights are 6" cans and are IC for sitting directly against insulation. The problem is I noticed pretty much exactly on the can hole edge is some copper colored piping probably leading from the furnace in the attic to the adjoining kitchen. I can't slide the hole over because of a joist so I am stuck placing the can directly against this copper colored tubing which is at about 1/2 way up the can height.

The question is this- Is this a fire/electrical/gas hazard? My guess is that since the can is IC rated and can sit against insulation it doesnt get hot enough to start a fire so it shoudn't be an issue. The electrical housing for the can is contained in a closed box as can be slid away from the tubing at least 8"-12" or so....

Any thoughts?

Old 08-23-07, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I highly doubt it's a gas line, specially copper.

It may be one of your refrigerant lines going from your a/c compressor to your indoor unit or just a simply water line.

You should be fine.

Old 08-30-07, 07:10 PM
Make sure that you tape the fixture and the pipe so they don't make direct contact. The dissimilar metals will cause corroding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: