No Red Wire for Ceiling Fan W/ Light

Old 08-25-07, 09:45 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Red Wire for Ceiling Fan W/ Light

I have replaced a light with a ceiling fan w/ light kit. There are other lights controlled by this switch which is why I need to wire the fan to be controlled by the chain and the light by the switch with the other lights.

My wiring from the ceiling only consists of white, black and green. I don't have the red wire spoken of in most posts.

Can someone please give advice?

Old 08-25-07, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! From what you describe, you have only a switch loop from the switch to the light/fan location. Since you have no neutral and no permanently hot wire in that location, you will have to figure how the switch is wired in order to control the remainder of the lights. Cut off the breaker to this circuit and pull the switch from the wall and report to us the number, color, and placement of wires onto the switch. We may be able to get the location hot all the time so you can use your remote, and allow the other lights to be operated with the swtich.

Old 08-25-07, 01:02 PM
K
Thank you Chandler. I am currently not at the location of the fixture. As soon as I can, I will reply back with more information.

Old 08-25-07, 01:08 PM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
It is NOT a switch loop. You don't have a power cable at the fan. You don't have the wires to do as you wish. The only solution is to run a new cable from the switch box with a 3 wire cable.

Old 08-25-07, 01:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
JOed, thanks for the heads up. I had two posts in my feeble brain at one time and the OP clearly said he had a white wire in the ceiling box, after a re-read.

Old 08-28-07, 05:14 PM
How many cables do you have in the switch box being controlled by that switch? Are there any other cables in the fan box? I have 2 scenarios in which you could easily fix your problem. They're probably not the case, but your description was vague, so I figure I'll give them a shot. If the fan has a seperate cable going to the switch then you can do something. First you'd have to use a voltmeter to verify which is the load side of the switch (usually on the bottom terminal, or the side that says "on"). The voltage of the load side will oviously turn on and off with the switch while the line side will stay on at all times. If there's more than 1 cable controlled by the switch, flip the breaker, disconnect one of the switchlegs, turn the breaker back on and then see what goes on with the switch. If you do have a seperate cable going to the fan you can buy a remote switch. They usually cost around $40. There are 2 different remote types: wall mount and handheld remote. The wall mount is a battery operated remote like the other and can be mounted to a low voltage cut-in insert on the wall. I prefer this type because you can't lose it. They both have a dimmer for the light and the 3 fan speed controls. To hook the remote up, you simply pigtail the switchleg for the fan to the hot in the switch box and wire up the reciever (per manufacturer's instructions) in the fan box.
If there's only one cable controlled by the switch, but you have more than one cable in the fan box, you may be able to use the remote as well. You'd have to see if the fan is upline of the lights. Flip the breaker, disconnect one of the black wires, capping it off, and leave the other connected to the fan. Now flip the breaker back on and see what, if anything turns on and off with the light. If just the fan turns on, you're good. If any of the lights come on with the fan you're outta luck. If nothing comes on, repeat the steps flipping the black wires going to the fan. So, if you've established that the switch goes to the fan before any of the other lights, you can again mount a remote fan switch. Splice the hot and switchleg toghether at the switch box. If you go with a wall mount switch, you can mount it in the existing box as it will cotrol everything. In the fan box you'd again hook up the fan per manufacturer's instructions. For the cable in that box going to the other lights, you pigtail the neutral and ground to the ones coming from the switch box and pigtail the switchleg to the fan's light switchleg. Keep in mind that this will only work if the other lights are dimmable and you're not exceeding the maximum wattage of the remote switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: