Ceiling Fan pulley came out

Old 09-04-07, 11:43 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Ceiling Fan pulley came out

From previous posts I did not see exactly how you take out the switch. I was a little afraid with all the wires going into it. I had a handy man service come and all he did was give me a quote of $75 and left-did not do the job. It would be nice if I could tackle this myself. This is a Hampton Bay with no light fixture.

Old 09-04-07, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ceiling fans have no pulleys. (except the ones in the 1800's powered by a water wheel and all the fans moved at the same time) Exactly what is wrong with your fan? What is the question?

Old 09-04-07, 01:48 PM
R
I believe he is saying that the pull chain switch has broken. But he has not asked a question.

Old 09-04-07, 04:48 PM
C
Ceiling fan pull chain

Yes, I was saying that the pull chain has completely come out. And my question was-how do you take out the old plastic switch with the 4 wires going into it? I don't want to just yank out the wires. Is there a method for removing the switch to install a new one?

Old 09-04-07, 05:03 PM
Yes, you can turn off the power to the fan, remove the lighting bell, unplug it and reach up into the main body to gain access to the switch. Release the switch and tape each wire and number them, so when you cut them they can be reidentified. Once you remove the switch, take it with you to your supplier and get an exact match. Installation is reverse of demolition.

Old 09-05-07, 09:22 AM
C
Ceiling fan chain

Okay, we did manage to get the old switch off, however, even though we thought we had the power disconnected to the fan my husband was shocked. Needless to say that was the end of that project. We had all the lights off to the family room including the recessed lighting and yet he got a jolt. Time to call in a pro I guess. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-05-07, 09:32 AM
R
If someone was shocked then you did not have the power off.

Either you did not turn off the correct circuit breaker, or you turned off the switch thinking it would turn off the power. You cannot use the switch to turn off power to light, fan or appliance and work on it. There are several proper ways of wiring where the box will still contain a hot wire. Further, the neutral wire will always be connected and potentially carrying current.

Old 11-03-07, 02:16 PM
M
Help

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
I believe he is saying that the pull chain switch has broken. But he has not asked a question.
If the pull chain has completely come out of the plastic case, how do you open the case to re-insert chain?

Old 11-03-07, 04:03 PM
You don't. You remove the switch, take it to a supply house, and replace the switch with a new one. Trying to repair the old switch will be futile, since the switches, probably only cost less than a few dollars.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: