dock light blown

Old 09-06-07, 08:50 AM
dock light blown

I have a dusk till dawn light that quit working after a storm. I changed the strobe on top. Do these things lose bulbs often?

how can I check the bulb? It looks fine to me. Will a meter tell me anyhting?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-07, 08:53 AM
I guess you are saying that the new bulb does not work.

A meter will tell you if you are getting power to the light. But do NOT use a digital meter. Use an analog meter or a two wire tester. Open the box and test the wires directly.

Old 09-06-07, 09:20 AM
I havent changed the bulb just the sensor on top that detects light. My neighbor said his lost 2 in the last year.

Old 09-06-07, 07:38 PM
ok new bulb no light. I have one box with 2 fuses. One for the pump on the dock, the other for the light. Could it be lightning blew out the whole light fixture. Can the fuse for the light be blown?

Old 09-06-07, 08:26 PM
to answer this questions here :;

what kind of light you have ?
[ High pressure soduim aka orange light or Mecury vapour like bleuish green colour or Compact floursecent kinda pretty bright white colour ]

how far the lumiaire is from the house ??

what the voltage you are reading on this lumiaire circuit ??

typically most lumiaires wired for 120 volts will have 10 volt range to work correctally

if this lumiaire is HPS [ High Pressure sodium ] if you did replace both photoeye cell and bulb then the starter aid is shot this is pretty common with HPS to fail to light up

if the starter is shot my best bet is get new lumiaire it far much cheaper and save alot of aggravation to find the starter for this [ belive me i work on alot of lumiaires so i know i can steer ya right ]

let us know thanks

Merci , Marc

Old 09-07-07, 07:55 AM
It's a mercury 175 watt.

It's 200 ft + from the house.

The fuse box has power as the pump works.

Wife said it was some serious lightning that day.

When replacing the daylight sensor how much should it turn? It seems like last night fumbling in the dark it was turning a whole revolution.

The old bulb looked burned at the connections but again no light.

Do ya think it got totally ruined?

Old 09-07-07, 08:20 AM
It's a mercury 175 watt.
A. ok that is very common one

It's 200 ft + from the house.
A. humm pretty long stretch there what wire size ya running on this one ??

The fuse box has power as the pump works.
A. what voltage and amprage the pump is running ?

Wife said it was some serious lightning that day.
A. that one way to ruin the photoeye and somecase power surge will do it as well

When replacing the daylight sensor how much should it turn? It seems like last night fumbling in the dark it was turning a whole revolution.
A. majorty of the photocell are useally 1/8 to 1/4 quarter turn and that it and also make sure you have to postion it correctally you will notice the twist lock below the eye one of them is larger than other two is and look at the top of the head or the eye cell [ the little window ] it should be pointing north anyway so that will be correct oration if pretty loose you can get a screwdriver and get it tighten down some more but not too much to crack the base

The old bulb looked burned at the connections but again no light.
A. that possiblty it near the end of life and get new bulb they useally are not that expensive and it very common item just about all big box store will stock this type of bulb

Do ya think it got totally ruined?

A. if the photoeye fail to work most likely it is ruined IMO it is cheaper just get new dusk to dawn lumiaire than try to waste all the time to fiddle around it most common plain jane dusk to dawn luimaire is not that expensive unless you want diffrent lighting source like Metal Haldie which it will really kick out more light than Mercury vapour will dish out some big box store will have this but not all will have this type you may have to look around a little and also there is compact flourscent verison as well [ i rather keep the compact floursecet lumiares in warm weather location to get the best useage of it but it will work ok in very cold weather but it will take time to warm up that all ]

if you have more question please do ask us here we will happy to help ya

Merci , Marc