ceiling fan question

Old 09-09-07, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan question

I would like to install a ceiling fan but the current setup has two lights being turned on at the same time by a single switch. Is there a way to seperate the lights so that each light is controlled by a seperate switch?

deanne

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-07, 09:43 AM
R
You can do anything you want by running new cables. You may or not (probably not) be able to add a second switch and separate the lights without the new cable.

Old 09-09-07, 09:55 AM
Hello Deanne,
Your question is a little too vague to answer. First we need to know the wiring. Does the power come into one of the light boxes and then down to the switch? Does it go to the switch box first? We need you to do a little homework. You'll have to open up the switch box and the light boxes and tell us what you see. Also, we need to know more about your plans. I'm assuming that you're planning on replacing one of the lights with a light/fan combo? Do you want the lights (fan light and existing light(s) included) on one switch and the fan motor on another? It may be possible to use a remote control fan switch to solve your problem or you may have to run some new wiring. I can't say without more info.