Which direction should fan blades be for winter?

Old 09-18-07, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Which direction should fan blades be for winter?

Here's the age old question - which direction should ceiling fans run in the winter? We have very high vaulted ceilings and we need to do this right. We're getting mixed results when asking people. What public opinion on this one???

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-07, 11:01 AM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
The one that you like best. I always have mine blowing down winter and summer.

Old 09-18-07, 01:11 PM
Joe is right. There are too many variables to have one answer for everybody. A lot depends on the size and shape of the room and where the people are sitting.

I prefer the fan to blow down in the summer and not to blow at all in the winter (even though I have high ceilings too).

Note that in the summer, I see no advantage at all to running the fan when nobody is in the room where the fan is.

The most common advice is to blow down in the summer (so that you get the cooling breeze), and up in the winter (so that you bring the hot air down and keep the moving air along the walls where it won't bother you so much).

Experiment all three ways and see what you like.

Note that having the fan on in the winter may even out the heat (which is good), but it also may increase your utility bills (which is bad) unless it allows you to turn your thermostat down. The moving air may increase the rate of heat loss through the walls.

Old 09-18-07, 07:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Fan manufacturers say leading edge low (blowing up) in the winter, but the others are right that you get to decide whatever you like best.

Old 09-23-07, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by indianlakesue View Post
Here's the age old question - which direction should ceiling fans run in the winter? We have very high vaulted ceilings and we need to do this right. We're getting mixed results when asking people. What public opinion on this one???
Here's how I remember it: Summer longer days = Counter clockwise (longer word). If you've installed it following the directions, the blades should be in the right position. This is looking at the fan from below by the way! Hope this helps.

There is no advantage to a fan running if you aren't in a room where you feel the difference.
:-)

Old 09-23-07, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As others have said, whatever works for you.
On a very high ceiling, down might be a good choice year round, since it's far enough up that you aren't likely to feel the air moving either way.

Up in the winter means the air is circulated and washes the walls so there is a less draft on you.
Down in the summer means you get the air movement mostly on you.

I don't like the harsh draft any time, so all my fans go up year round. I turn the one in the bedroom off when I'm gone, but leave the one in the living room on because that's where the thermostat is.