light socket to extension cord?

Old 09-19-07, 07:58 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
light socket to extension cord?

I am doing some research on making myself a custom made reptile tank. I was looking into the lighting systems the have and ive seen tanks that use light sockets and then have what seem to be extension cords running into the outlets for power. I am looking to do this because i could screw these sockets into the cage and not worry about the screen and the light socket with dome around it falling(again). So my question is if i were to install one of these light sockets into my cage, could i use a decent quality extension cord and cutt the female end off, splice the wires and connect them to the extension cord and not burn my house down, or is there a different way to do such a task. It will only be drawing energy for a 150watt bulb. Is this accomplishable and if so how?

Old 09-19-07, 08:23 PM
I think the light that you're talking about is a form of temporary lighting. It is only legal for temporary use during construction projects where there is no permenant lighting installed yet. Not only is it illegal, but would in fact be dangerous. I could be misunderstanding you though. Can you describe the light better and how exactly you tend to use it?

Old 09-19-07, 08:30 PM
V
Well i was planning on getting one of those screw it light sockets meant for cielings and such. I would screw it into the cage and use it for about 12 hours a day for my lizard to bask. I was going to wire the light to an extension cord i was going to cut and splice and connect to light. I wanted to make sure it was possible and that i wouldnt over heat bulb or light something on fire. It would stay in one place and be turned off overnight.

Old 09-20-07, 05:14 AM
R
You cannot cut off an extension cord and splice wires together. What you could do is to properly mount the fixture to a junction box, as it is designed to be mounted, and then use a length of SO cord running from the box to a plug. You wold then plug in to a receptacle.

Old 09-20-07, 05:28 PM
Actually Menards sells cords manufactured with male plug ends and no female end. It's made ready to splice for just your purpose. Racraft's right though, you must splice in a junction box and use the appropriate connectors. Don't forget to properly ground it as well. Not wiring your light correctly can cause fire or possible shock.

Old 09-20-07, 08:18 PM
C
For 150w in a semi-enclosed space, use a porcelain socket (most are plastic), and a rubber cord rated for higher temperature.

Old 09-20-07, 09:27 PM
R
I believe that the plastic sockets can only be used to a maximum 60 watt bulb. I do not know about the maximum for porcelain sockets.

If you use a plastic junction box there will be no place to connect the ground wire, so you could in theory not use one. However, I recommend a metal junction box which means you will need a ground wire.

Old 09-24-07, 09:32 AM
D
Just make a stand to hang the dome from. then it will not fall through again. Also, I am not sure what reptile this is for but you might want a chepa temp probe and a dimmer on the lamp so you can adjust the heat.

Oh and PS - if you want to have night heat, rather than buy a red lamp which is not really all that great for reptiles since it does not make the viv completely dark , they are more expensive. Rather take a shoebox and cut and X in it. now shove a normal blub into the X so that the base is in the X and it is sticking straight up. Now get some hi temp paint for like a grill and paint it black. You now have a heat blub with no light for very little cost

or if you dot have a basking lizard like a beardie, but rather an animal that would rather belly heat (ie snake) then go buy a few feet of flexwatt and a 2 dollar cord at wallmart, cut the ends and solder it to the flexwatt. Flexwat is a paperthin heating element that is awesome if you have never heard of it, you buy it by the foot and attach your own cord and tape it down use metal duct tape

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: