Recessed lights not working

Old 10-02-07, 05:53 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lights not working

We just moved to a new area and the only store nearby that I knew of that carried can lights was HD. So I bought 8 of the Commercial Electric 4" ones (and yes, now I know better). They were installed by an electrician and worked great for about 6 months. I now have 2 out. The wiring looks fine from the outside of the units (I have full attic access above the cans, there's no signs of rodents chewing/etc). The lights simply don't come on, and the 2 that are out are not in series. What should I check for on these units? Naturally, the electricians who did the install threw out the boxes and instructions and I can't find a PDF on the internet regarding the components of these lights so I can start troubleshooting.

Please be very basic when giving me pointers - I have a ton of DIY experience, but lighting and electric is not my forte - at all.

Stacy

Old 10-02-07, 06:35 PM
R
With the power off, open the junction boxes and examine the wiring. Look for any open connections.

Old 10-02-07, 11:01 PM
F
The biggest issuse with the Commercal Electric ressced can IMO they are pretty much low grade product i know one or two items they have the Jbox right above the can and what happend is the heat build up alot espcally this is true with overwattage bulbs and the connection can fail there

so just check the connection there i am sure it may came loose from the heat

Merci, Marc

Old 10-03-07, 06:45 AM
J
Received 297 Votes on 255 Posts
The fixtures will also have an overtemp thermostat. If that went bad they would not come on.
If the bulb socket center connection is cheap it could be not connecting to the bulb.

Old 10-22-07, 02:20 PM
W
Thanks for all the replies. We now have 3 lights out. One of the connections did come loose and was repaired. The other 2 - there are no visible problems and they're still not coming on.

Which brings me to my next question - can someone recommend a GOOD quality brand to look for in replacing these 2 fixtures (and possibly the remaining 6 when they die)?

Stacy

Old 10-22-07, 02:42 PM
R
If you still have a problem, then search for the problem. Use a meter or two wire tester with a light, and verify power at each location.

That means opening the wire nutted connections and seeing where you do and where you don't have power.

Replacing the lights at this point would be an expensive and probably unnecessary expense of both money and time.

Old 10-22-07, 04:03 PM
J
I'm voting for failed thermal protects, but that's just a guess. You can replace just the thermal protects, but it might be easier/cheaper to replace the cans.

I like Halo brand.

Old 10-22-07, 04:20 PM
W
Ok, just checked the basics - the remaining 2 bulbs were bad. We're going to replace those and see how long the new ones last. If they only last another 6 months, then we may consider replacing the units. The room isn't used for more than 2-3 hours a day, the lamps should be lasting a lot longer than that.

Stacy

Old 10-22-07, 04:27 PM
R
Are you using the proper wattage bulbs?

Old 10-22-07, 06:01 PM
W
I am assuming so - these are the bulbs that came with the fixtures (it was an all-in-one package).

Stacy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: