Ceiling Fan Light Bulb Crackles

Old 10-04-07, 08:47 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Light Bulb Crackles

Hi,
I'm hoping that someone here can help me.My kids room has a ceiling fan with a light fixture.It says Maximum Wattage is 60.We've been using 40 watt bulbs for almost 4 years now w/o any problems.
Lately tho,bulbs have been blowing out every week or so.I just noticed a crackling sound when light part is turned on and a slight flicker at the base.The crackling is low,but doesn't go away untill light is turned off.These are normal 40 watt bulbs.
Could it be I'm using a wrong type of bulb?Or something else?
Don't know brand of ceiling fan,but remember we got it at Wal-Mart(probably my first mistake).
Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-05-07, 12:17 AM
F
sometime you have the socket concat it can go bad too and get weak.

what you can do this but turn off the breaker first i never really trust the switch at all .

unscrew all the bulbs first and see the concat tab in the centre of bulb and pull it out a little more useally do the trick or get diffrent name brand bulbs sometime will clear up the issuse there as well

really try this idea first if not then try diffrent brandname bulbs if not slove the two common issue then post it back here we will go from there

Merci , Marc

Old 10-05-07, 09:17 AM
J
Also try to note anything that might be different now. Is a different person changing the bulbs? Are you using a different brand? A different style? Is the fan vibrating/wobbling more now that before? Did someone new move into the room above? Did you add air conditioning or a hot tub to your house? Any new power lines in the area? A new house built in the neighborhood?

Old 10-05-07, 09:34 AM
F
oookay,I turned off the breaker an yowza.got a nice jolt(???).
Now I'm really confused.
Only thing above room is an attic.Empty except for a gable fan & insulation.The fan wobbles a little.Always has actually.I put shims in and it holds a bit,then wobbles again.
Now whats bugging me is that jolt I just got with the power off.
I live in a pretty dead wooded area.(Not many houses out here.
There is a house being built about a quarter mile down the road.Could that have something to do with it?

Old 10-05-07, 09:41 AM
R
What do you mean you turned off the breaker and got a nice jolt? Where? From what?

If it was from the fan wiring then either you got the wrong breaker, or there is more than one circuit through this box, or you have a potentially serious wiring problem.

How do you know you got the correct circuit breaker turned off?

Old 10-05-07, 02:07 PM
F
Well,I had a bulb in the light an had it on when I was flipping breakers.When the light went off(as did tv and other items in room)I figured I had the right one.
My in-law says we have a hot lead in the house.Not sure what he means.
Seeing as I'm not all that good of an electrician,guess I'm gonna have to call a pro in.
I'm a little skeered of touching that thing again.

Old 10-05-07, 06:23 PM
R
Originally Posted by free View Post
When the light went off(as did tv and other items in room)I figured I had the right one.
Wrong answer. You should have KNOWN what breaker to turn off before you started. Shortly after you moved in you should have completely and thoroughly mapped out the electrical circuits.

Knowing what breaker controls each and every light, receptacle and appliance, and what is on each and every breaker is something everybody should determine.

Never, ever attempt to find the right breaker by simply flipping breakers. You could easily kill yourself.

Old 10-05-07, 08:38 PM
J
We still don't know exactly what you touched when you got the shock.

Another rule of electrical work is never to touch any wire without testing it first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: