Workshop Lighting 5000K vs 6500K

Old 10-09-07, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Workshop Lighting 5000K vs 6500K

I'm building a workshop in my basement (24' x 24'). It faces north and has six 4' x 4' windows. I'm installing T-8 fixtures. I will be doing a mixture of woodworking, lawn mower repair and general fixit stuff. I will also have some track lights over the main workbench and probably over key pieces of woodworking equipment.

What color temperature do you recommend for the flourescent lights? I've been looking at 5000K (Bright White/Natural Sunshine) vs 6500K (Daylight Deluxe/Arctic White).

What gives the best overall lighting.

Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-07, 05:42 PM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
I don't think you would notice a great deal of difference between the two. I like the daylight tubes.

Stay away from warm white as it has a decidedly pinkish tone.

Old 10-09-07, 05:58 PM
Unless you'll be doing a lot of nighttime staining and painting, I don't think perfect color rendition is required in a workshop. I would, however, make sure I mixed some incandescents in with the fluorescents. It will help you more accurately judge rotating machinery.

Old 10-09-07, 06:05 PM
nap
truthfully, I am not sure I would even spend the difference to go above 4100k.

I don;t see a real benefit unless you prefer one over the other. it does not seem color rendition is important in what you are considering.

Old 10-09-07, 07:36 PM
I am pretty much stay with cool white [4100K ] most paint shop been using this colour format for pretty long time unless few place i know have very serious detail with colour details then jusfiy the extra cost to go with 5500K or higher those colour temp i dont used not very often at all.

but stay away from warm white [3000K] that colour is not excatally good match for genral useage it will kinda muted or dullen some colours

Merci, Marc

Old 10-10-07, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the input. I've installed about half of the fixtures. I used the T8 32 watt 6500K Daylight bulb. The price was very competitive with the 4100 and 5000. It has a different and perceived brighter look. I'll know more once all fixtures are installed.

Robert