Please Help Wiring a 400w Light Ballast

Old 10-12-07, 05:50 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please Help Wiring a 400w Light Ballast

atlas lighting ballast for a 400w MH light. 6 wires coming out of it: they are white and labeled 120, 208, 240, 277, com and then a green and yellow wrapped wire. Can someone please help me as I am an electrical idiot. How do I wire this light?

Old 10-12-07, 05:55 PM
R
What voltage are you connecting this to?

The "com" wire is the common wire. It is used.

The green/yellow wire is the ground. it is used.

The numbers "120", "208", "240" and "277" on the other four wires refer to the input voltage. Use the appropriate wire based on the voltage you are wiring this to.

Old 10-12-07, 06:00 PM
R
Does this mean I can connect to 120? It says fixture is factory wired for 277 volt supply voltage. Help.

Old 10-12-07, 06:04 PM
R
wiring a light for a basketball goal and volleyball court for my son and feel like dummy, please help. No idea how to do this.

Old 10-12-07, 06:20 PM
F
How many luminaires [ light fixures ] you have ?/

and typically for most multitap you can hook up at 120 volt each but once i know how many you have and what else you will have on the circuit sometime may have to use the 240 also if need to.

right now how you will mount this ?

typically most 400 w MH useally wired for 277v but can be reconnected to other voltage as need to.

to order change voltage you need a wire nut to cap the 277 off alone then find the wire marked 120 volt use that to the black wire then the white wire to the wire called com aka common the green wire with yellow stripe that will go to green wire or bare wire depending on how you used this.

Keep in your mind this type of luminaire at 120 v will draw about 4 amps each

when you first start up it will take up to 5 min to get full brightness but if you shut it off or power intrurppeted expect about 15-25 min to come back on again

if more question please do post it here i will help ya with this

[ i done this just about every day ]

Merci, Marc

Old 10-12-07, 06:32 PM
R
This is the only light I have. I've never ran wire to something before, always just plugged into wall! Sorry for the ignorance.

Old 10-12-07, 06:40 PM
F
ok now next question is how you will mount this luminaire to ? the post or the wall ??

typically this will be a hard wired set up and have a switch in the garage to turn on and off the light

the reason why i ask about how to mount this because i hope you reilzed that luminaire is pretty hevey not like some luminaire is this fixure useally can weight in about 15 lbs or more and that one will be about 22 lbs if i recall it right so you need a good set of lag bolts or thru bolt the wall of the garage.

the weather proof box can be mounted little below the luminaire

let me know what your intend to mount this because there is a few way you can mount it safely

[ dont think about the tree at all i will just stay away from tree for good reason ]

Merci, Marc

Old 10-12-07, 06:40 PM
R
How do I run the wire from the circuit? I have a light bulb out in the yard, can I use that wire?

Old 10-12-07, 06:43 PM
R
Sorry, missed your last post. I am using lug bolts, yes, very heavy light with ballast attached. I've got that part, just wiring I'm scared of. Explain to me like the idiot I am.

Old 10-12-07, 06:58 PM
F
Originally Posted by race_tux View Post
How do I run the wire from the circuit? I have a light bulb out in the yard, can I use that wire?
only if the wires is good shape no damaged mark etc etc

ok do you have light switch in the garage to control the old light you have now [ yard light ] ??

if so what else on that circuit because the reason why i say this because this light will draw 400 watt plus the ballast so total wattage will be about 460 or so.

what kind of wire you have on the wall like plain jane romax wire or uf wires it will say on the wire itself

this type of info will help you a bit so i can guide you in the right way

Old 10-12-07, 07:38 PM
R
There's one room with 2 lights, two wall outlets with nothing plugged in.

Old 10-12-07, 08:12 PM
F
ok as long that circuit is not on kitchen then you are good to go from there.

ok you will have to get few items as need

1) a weather proof box so you can run the old light wire behind to the new box then you have to get a short length of cord typically 14-3 SO cord i guess about 3 feet should work if the new light is close to the old light fixure loacated but keep in your mind the new light will have mount up little more higher than the old one because the new light will be far much brighter than the old one is .

get 2 of 1/2 inch weather tight connector to fit on the cord [ this item may found in big box store other wise the electrical supply centre will have this ]

get about 10 yellow wire nuts

that should cover it what it genreally need it if move up a foot or two

if more than 2 feet away from old light location let me know i can change this a little

Merci, Marc

Old 10-12-07, 08:29 PM
R
Wow, thank you for all of your help. I truly appreciate it.

Old 10-12-07, 08:45 PM
F
Just make sure the old wires are good shape and have ground wire there too it should be black , white and green or bare wire

if that so you are good to go just make sure you mount it very welll to the wood stud[s]

Merci, Marc

Old 10-12-07, 09:58 PM
R
You do not have 277 volts at your house, this won't work if it has a 277 volt bulb.

Old 10-12-07, 11:02 PM
F
Racraft the OP did stated that he have multi tap ballast so i told him change the connection from 277 to 120 volts

""Does this mean I can connect to 120? It says fixture is factory wired for 277 volt supply voltage""

""atlas lighting ballast for a 400w MH light. 6 wires coming out of it: they are white and labeled 120, 208, 240, 277, com and then a green and yellow wrapped wire""

http://www.usalight.com/b50hpsq_c_180_p_1_pr_811.html

this is a example what the multi tap ballast look like

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: