can you use an exterior light inside

Old 10-16-07, 07:11 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can you use an exterior light inside

I have found an incredible exterior wall light that I would like to use inside as a wall sconce can this be done and is it safe?

Old 10-16-07, 09:52 AM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Depends on the manufacturer's instructions. Could be a heat issue if mounted to the wrong type of wall material.

Old 10-16-07, 01:52 PM
J
The short answer to your question is "no". This topic was discussed at length here recently. Some felt that the risk was low, but it is nevertheless officially not allowed.

See the following for that related conversation:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=318368

Old 10-16-07, 03:16 PM
M
While I appreciate advice, I'm not one to just accept a yes or no without exhausting my options especially if I really want to do something.

After reading the previous forum in its entirety, I'm not sure that your situation applies. That discussion was all about transformers and their applications. From the gist of your post, I gather that your just talking about a light fixture.

To be safe, why not just call the manufacturer of the light and ask them if their light pesents a hazard.

I'm sure you can find an 800 # on line. The call will be free and should only take a couple of minutes. If they are concerned, then you should be. It's really that simple.

Old 10-17-07, 08:39 AM
J
If the instructions that came with the light say it is for outdoor use only, then I'm sure that is exactly what they will also tell you when you call. And I'll bet that "no" is the only answer you'll get. They won't go into all the engineering design and testing behind this answer. So the answer will still be unsatisfying.

If I had to guess, I'd say that when a manufacturer designs an outdoor fixture, he does not test it indoors, nor pay U.L. to test it indoors. From the manufacturer point of view, that would be money needlessly spent. So the real answer is not that they know it would not be safe indoors, but merely that the do not know that it would be safe.

Old 10-28-07, 08:40 AM
A
I'd say as long as there is a junction box for it and if it is your personal style that you like about it, then go for it.

Old 10-28-07, 08:56 AM
M
Hum! Differing opinions, there shouldn't be any of that going on.

Old 10-28-07, 09:32 AM
J
Originally Posted by AllAround View Post
I'd say as long as there is a junction box for it and if it is your personal style that you like about it, then go for it.

I disagree with this line of thinking. John hit the nail on the head with his suggestion that the only reason why the light is not listed for indoor use is probably because the money was never spent on such testing.

That being said, the fact that a fixture, or other electrical device, has not been tested for the application is the very best reason to NOT install it that way.

Truth be know, we have no idea if this would be safe. Electrical work is not a good arena for a "trial and error" aproach.

For most of us, our home, is the largest investment we will ever make. It is senceless to risk the possible outcome of making a misjudgement regarding the suitability of the materials we use to upgrade that investment.

In addition we need to consider the health and safety of our families. Electrical failures distroy buildings and kill people. Even with adiquate testing there is still a risk. To install something that has not undergone such testing is just plain foolish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: