Live feed at ceiling fan???

Old 10-24-07, 08:16 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Live feed at ceiling fan???

Hey Guys!

I'm not a novice to doing basic electrical work (changing out switches, installing fans, lights, etc.), but this one has me flustered. We just moved into a new house, and I went to install a ceiling fan and this is what I found.

At the ceiling, there is a black, white, bare and red wire. (There is a separate switch for the fan and light, thus the red and black). Every other time that I've put in a fan, you just match colors. This time, the white wire is hot ALL OF THE TIME! It is not switched. I'm not familiar with this configuration, and couldn't figure out how to wire the fan/light properly. Please help this DIYer out!

Rob

Old 10-24-07, 09:11 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If these are the only four wires in the ceiling box, then the white wire should never be hot. Perhaps your method of testing is faulty, or perhaps it is miswired. Shut off the breaker, gently pull the wall switches out of the box, and tell us all the cables, all the wires, and all the connections you find there.

If there are more than just these four wires at the ceiling (i.e., there are other wires you didn't mention), then it is possible that this is correct (or almost correct). Post back with more information.

Old 10-24-07, 11:09 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How I know it's hot...

Hello again,

I know that the white wire is hot because when I touch it, it 'bites' me!

I agree that the white should not be hot, but it is. There are definitely only the wires mentioned above at the ceiling box.

Rob

Old 10-24-07, 11:56 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Okay, then. We now await the information requested in the first paragraph of my first response.

By the way, it is suicidal to touch wires with the breaker on. Are you feeling okay?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: