No Red Wire

Old 11-01-07, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Red Wire

I am attempting to install my ceiling fan so that the light is controlled by 3 way switches and the fan is controlled by the chain.

My wiring is:

At the ceiling box there are two 12/2 wires. I have traced one to the breaker box and the other to Switch #1.

At Switch #1 there is a 12/2 and a 14/3. I have traced the 14/3 to Switch #2. And as I said earlier, the 12/2 goes to the ceiling box.

The 14/3 black and 12/2 white are connected with a wire nut.

The 14/3 wires are connected to the switch as:
White -- top right
Red -- top left

The 12/2 black -- bottom right

All grounds are connected together and to the ground screw.

At Switch #2 there is a 14/3. The wires are connected to the switch as:
White -- top right
Red -- top left
Black -- bottom right

Ground is to the ground screw.

I would really appreciate some help with this one.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-07, 01:28 PM
First and foremost. I hope this is a 15 amp circuit. If it is a 20 amp circuit someone incorrectly used 14 gage wire between the switches, which is wrong.

If this is a 20 amp breaker, either change the breaker to 15 amps or replace the cable between the switches to be 12-3.

top right, bottom left or whatever mean nothing. Switches made by different manufacturers are wired differently. Do not use those terms, as they don;t help us. With three way switches what is important is common (the odd color terminal) and traveler (the two like colored terminals).

However, the switch wiring is not important, assuming it works at present. If you need to know how to connect the switch wires, post back and ask about those.

At the ceiling connect the fan and light neutral wire(s) to the power neutral (white) wire.

At the ceiling connect the fan hot wire to the power hot (black) wire. This should also be connected to the switch white wire (which should be re-identified as hot).

At the ceiling connect the light hot wire to the black wire wire from the switch.

Old 11-01-07, 03:24 PM
Thank you a million times!!!!!!!!!

Just finished putting everything back together and it's working great!!!!

I have wanted this ceiling fan to work like this for 10 years. Thanks to friends like you and this website I have my ceiling fan working like I want.

Now off to check the others in the house and get them to work the same way. Good thing they are on a single switch!!! You'll probably be hearing from me again though.

By the way, it is 12/3. Sorry 'bout that.

Old 11-01-07, 06:55 PM
I'm glad you have this working.

I suggest that you purchase several nooks on home wiring. Start with Wiring Simplified, available on-line and at the big box stores.

Your question is a very basic issue, and any good book on wiring would have helped you figure it out. You would have had the fan and light separated long ago.

Further, I recommend that you draw pictures on paper first, before tackling any project.