Removing Ceiling Fan, Installing Regular Light

Old 11-03-07, 05:33 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Ceiling Fan, Installing Regular Light

Hello -
I have removed a ceiling fan and just want to put in a regular light. Out of the ceiling is a red, white, black and ground wire. When i connect the white and black wire to the new light it is constantly on, i figured out that the white wire is always hot. On the wall is three switches. The white wires are capped and don't goto any of the switches just directly to the ceiling outlet. How do i rewire the wall switches to just turn on the light i'm putting up. The first switch has a red and black wire, the middle switch has two black wires, and the third switch has a red and black wire.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-07, 06:17 PM
J
Received 269 Votes on 233 Posts
Connect the light only to the red and white. Cap the black. If the switch doesn't control the light then swap the red and black. Cap the unused wire.

Old 11-03-07, 07:01 PM
R
The white wire is NOT hot. The white wire is the neutral. The red wire is switched, the black wire is always hot. The book you read on home wiring most certainly told you this. You did read a book right? It would not be prudent to be doing this sort of work without having done at least some research.

As joed stated, connect the light to the red wire and the white wire. Also connect the ground wires.

Old 11-03-07, 10:48 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Which switch(es) controlled the old fan and light? The answer to this question alone should have solved your problem.

Old 11-04-07, 02:07 PM
T
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Connect the light only to the red and white. Cap the black. If the switch doesn't control the light then swap the red and black. Cap the unused wire.
Joed - Thanks, you were right on! It works now!