Low Voltage lights buzzing

Old 11-03-07, 06:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Voltage lights buzzing

Just put up 8 lv juno recessed lights and they were buzzing like crazy. So far I've tried 3 different brands of lv magnetic dimmers(juno looked them up and said they were compatible) and changed the light bulbs and changed the brand of light bulbs. The eight lights are the only thing on the circuit. I also switched the breaker.

They don't buzz as bad with a plain 3-way switch and I don't think its the bulbs I think its coming from the transformers.
The dimmer switch is not making any noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

PADave

Old 11-03-07, 06:48 PM
J
It may be the transformers, or it may still be the bulbs, or maybe both. You made a good try when you swapped the bulbs. You might try that again. If that fails, try a different dimmer (even though it's not making any noise).

Make sure your fixtures are designed to be dimmed.

Old 11-03-07, 07:10 PM
D
Thanks for your imput. I did try 3 different brands of dimmers. I talked to juno tech support and they said all three dimmers were ok. I gave them all the info on everything I used and did and they say it's right. If everything is right why am I still getting a buzzing in the lights when I put a dimmer switch on? So I'm hoping I can find someone else that has experienced the same problem and found a solution.

Old 11-03-07, 07:25 PM
D
Do the low voltage dimmers that you are using require a neutral connection?

Old 11-03-07, 07:38 PM
D
The dimmer switch has a ground a common and two travelers.

Old 11-04-07, 01:33 AM
F
There one thing you did not say what type of low voltage dimmer there is two type of low voltage dimmers,..

one is electronic transformed dimmer and the other one is magantinc transformer dimmer.

both are not interchangebale each one have diffrent operating charictis and what type of transformer on the low voltage luminaire now ?? this will help alot once you know which one it is.

Merci, Marc

P.S you can not use the line voltage dimmer to work with the LV lighting system they will buzz like heck

Old 11-04-07, 12:44 PM
D
I haved tried 3 different brands of lv magnetic dimmers. They range from cheap to expencive. The only way to remove the buzzing is to put in a plain 3 way switch.

Old 11-04-07, 01:01 PM
R
I do not think the transformers are designed to be dimmed.

Old 11-04-07, 05:36 PM
M
if you open the box attatched to the fixture you should find either a transformer that looks like a doorbell tranformer(magnetic) or a plastic box about 2"x1"x 3/4"(electronic). the dimmer needs to match the transformer. in most cases, although you dont hear it coming from there, the hum is generated by the dimmer. you have probably heard a ceiling fan hum due to a dimmer because it should have been a motor control installed. if the fixture is magnetic low voltage the dimmer should be the same. if the fixture is electronic low voltage the dimmer should be the same. for electronic low voltage there will need to be a neutral or identified conductor in the switch box.

remember, if you install anything electrical in your home, in ontario you need an esa permit. if a contractor installs anything new in your home, outside of changing receptacles, switches or light fixtures, they need a permit. if you install something electrical in someone elses home and you are not a licenced electrical contractor, you have broken the law.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: