Wiring Christmas lights w/o outside outlet

Old 11-17-07, 02:19 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Christmas lights w/o outside outlet

I recently bought Christmas lights for my balcony and realized I did not have an outlet outside. I have seen a few people that have wired their lights to the light fixture that lights the balcony. Can someone please tell me how I can safely do this?

Old 11-17-07, 07:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Have one of the neighbors who's done theirs assist you.

Old 11-17-07, 12:20 PM
A
ummm....well i dont really feel like knocking on some random person's door and asking them to help me with my lights.....im sure i can handle it with a little instruction.....so first i would flip the breaker off that goes to my balcony light, then take the fixture off.....and use a wire connecter to connect the wires, right?

I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to things electrical but if i can hook up a CD player in my car i figure i can handle this.

Thanks for any help

Old 11-17-07, 12:28 PM
R
Originally Posted by ashley23 View Post
I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to things electrical but if i can hook up a CD player in my car i figure i can handle this.
This assumption is very wrong, and could easily kill you. Electricity can and does kill people and start fires. Why ask for trouble?

Do one of three things.

Add a proper circuit, or have an electrician add a proper circuit.

Extend the light to have a receptacle, or have an electrician extend the light to add a receptacle.

Buy a screw in adapter that will convert the light bulb socket to a non-grounded receptacle.

Old 11-17-07, 01:20 PM
I'll assume you are going to buy the $2 screw in adapter. They happen to sell them on this site, but any hardware store will have them. You just unscrew the bulb, screw in the adapter, and plug in your xmas lights. There is absolutely no reason for you to remove the fixture and mess with wires.

If you do so, be sure that you do not overload the wattage rating for the light fixture. For example, if on the inside of the fixture is stamped "Bulb 75W max", and each of your light strings is 40W, you may only connect one string. None of the fuses or breakers will protect you from doing something dumb in this regard.

Old 11-18-07, 06:29 PM
L
screw in plug

at supply store (home depot) i bought a device that screws in the light socket and has an outlet end. You lose the outside light, but can turn the christmas lights on from inside.

Len

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: