Remote control ceiling fan not working

Old 11-20-07, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Remote control ceiling fan not working

I am replacing a ceiling fan that was controled by 2 switches and replacing it with a Hampton Bay Remote control Fan. The wires from my ceiling are black, white, red and green. The connections from the new ceiling fan are black, white and green. I have completed connecting the black to black, white to white, and green to green and capped off the red wire. I cannot get the fan to respond to anything when I turn the breaker back on..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-07, 07:55 PM
Something doesnt sound right with your wiring, the light takes a hot and a common to work, the fan takes a hot and a common to work, the green is ground. I'm guessing that you can turn the light on/off but you can't start the fan. Are you sure that you bought a 2 function control and not a 1? Some fans don't have a light so a 1 function is appropriate. I would read the wiring instructions closely, if I remember, the light is black and white with a green ground, the red is the fan. As I said, read the instructions, if your unit is single function, maybe you need to wire the black and red together, white to white, and green to green. This would bring on the light and fan at the same time. Be sure that you left the switches on the fan in the right position to come on, and never start your fan on low, it could stall and burn up the motor.

Old 11-20-07, 08:30 PM
[HotRod, I think he's talking about a handheld remote]

Did you monkey with either of the wall switches yet? If yes, what did you change? If no, are they both switched on currently?

Do you have a voltage or neon tester that you can use to verify that you are getting voltage across the black and white wires?

Old 11-20-07, 09:03 PM
Thumbs down Lights dont work either

Originally Posted by rduke View Post
I am replacing a ceiling fan that was controled by 2 switches and replacing it with a Hampton Bay Remote control Fan. The wires from my ceiling are black, white, red and green. The connections from the new ceiling fan are black, white and green. I have completed connecting the black to black, white to white, and green to green and capped off the red wire. I cannot get the fan to respond to anything when I turn the breaker back on..
The only thing I have done to the switches is turn them on..the fan has two levels of lighting and the remote allows you to control each of them separately as well as the speed of the fan....their is no black/white wire....only black, white and green....the lights themselves have plug ins but no exposed wires

Old 11-20-07, 09:08 PM
What wires was the old fan connected to?

Obvious question, bus someone has to ask. If you forgot to pay attention when you removed the fan, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

At any rate, use your tester to figure out what wire are correct.

If I had to guess, I would say that the black wire is always hot and that the red wire is switched.

Old 11-20-07, 10:09 PM
I agree, you need to test to see if you are getting 120v WITH the power on the switches on for both the old switch for the fan and the switch for the old fan light, I suspect that you had white (neutral) and Black (sw 1)(Hot for Fan or light) and red (sw 2) (light or fan switch) and the ground in the box (usuallY just copper, maybe green if someone changed it by adding some wire). Careful if these are 3way or 4way circuits while power is on! Are there only 1 set of switches? or more that controlled the old fan?

Old 11-21-07, 07:34 AM
Thumbs down Old wires were connected as follows

Originally Posted by racraft View Post
What wires was the old fan connected to?

Obvious question, bus someone has to ask. If you forgot to pay attention when you removed the fan, then you have nobody to blame but yourself.

At any rate, use your tester to figure out what wire are correct.

If I had to guess, I would say that the black wire is always hot and that the red wire is switched.
Black to black, white to white, green to green and the red wire was connected to a blue wire

Old 11-21-07, 11:07 AM
rduke, your connections are fine, but you need to leave the wall switches on at all times if you want your remote to work.

Old 12-05-07, 11:41 AM
Wink Ceiling Fan Now Working

Well after all the discussion about wiring......my wiring was fine...it turns out the remote receiver in the fan was faulty...I received a new remote receiver and the fan worked immediately