Recessed light loose connections

Old 11-26-07, 06:01 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed light loose connections

I bought the 4" low-voltage recessed lights from Home Depot using 50W, 12V, MR-16 light bulbs. I notice that on several occassions the contact between the light bulb and the ceramic holder is loose after several months. I've also notice on 3 occassions, the wire got so hot it actually melted the plastic insulating-connector inside the housing and caused a complete malfunction of the whole light. I'm wondering if it suppose to get so hot. May be the heat cause the loose connection. I'm sure the heat melted the plastic insulating wire connector. I don't think this is normal. Pls advice. I'm afraid all my lights (20+) present fire hazard for my home. Am I doing something wrong or are these lights defective? Thanks,

Old 11-27-07, 06:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the MR16 socket the kind with two small holes that uses the bipin lamp?
If so, expect to check/change these for the rest of time.
We carry a large stock of these on the service vans as burnt sockets seem to be the most common problem encountered with the bipin MR16 fixtures.
It seems normal with these that every 5th or 6th lamp change should include a socket change.
It is the original design and has been a problem since MR16s were introduced to the market.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: