Replacing Ceiling fan w/light fixture...

Old 11-28-07, 01:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Ceiling fan w/light fixture...

I am trying to remove a lighted ceiling fan and replace it with a light fixture. The new fixture has 3 wires Black, White and copper ground. The fan has 2 cables in the box both are Black, White and bare. The Wall switch is 1 switch. I have tried all sorts of combos and am so confused now that I don't even remember which ones I have tried. Some leave the light on all the time. One has light until you flip the wall switch, then you get nothing...Now...where should I start, back at square one? Do I need to pull one of these cables out of the box/wall completely?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-07, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you have a switch loop. To verify this look in the box containing the switch. In that box there should only be one cable with black and white wires. If it contains anything besides that STOP and post back here.

In the light fixture, one of the two cables leads to the switch. The other cable I'll call the power feed. You will need to determine which is which -- if it's not obvious by the direction they come from you can use a neon tester with all the wires disconnected.

The black from the power feed gets connected to the white wire leading to the switch. Tape this white wire with black tape to indicate it is hot.

The black wire from the switch gets connected to the black wire on the light.

The white wire on the light gets connected to the white wire from the power feed.

Of course connect all your bare grounds. I've left those out for simplicity's sake.