Wiring for a ceiling fan... colors don't match

Old 12-01-07, 03:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring for a ceiling fan... colors don't match

If there are any electricians out there I could use some advice. I want to wire a ceiling fan and in my ceiling there are 4 colors: red, white, black, and a copper wire that doesn't seem to have insulating rubber around it. The ceiling fan wire colors are blue, white, black, and green. I grounded the green, combined black to black and white to white. I do not know where to put the blue wire however. The fan seems to work fine, however the lights do not work. It is possible (not likely) that the older lights I have don't work.. But I assume there could be a wiring malfunction.

Any advice for something that will fix this problem? fyi, the house was built in November 2006. Thanks!!

Old 12-01-07, 04:27 PM
J
Received 302 Votes on 258 Posts
The blue wire in the fan is the power to the light. Connect it to the red wire.
The bare wire in the box is the ground. It gets connected to the green.

Old 12-01-07, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The blue wire supplies a hot to the fan lights. Since it is not connected no power is going to the lights.

Post back with the number of switches and what color wires are on them and we can see about getting the switch to work the lights.

Old 12-01-07, 07:57 PM
J
Lightbulb wiring

Thanks. I'll try the advice of switching the blue and connecting it to the red. I had it previously grounded I guess (to the bare wire).. Do I need to connect the green wire to the bare wire (grounded) if there is a ground green switch on the box which it said to connect the green to? I guess I had the fan switch hooked up right (black to black) because the fan seems to work fine. Stupid lights. I guess I'll have to wait till the morning because I have no other lights in the room to turn on.

Old 12-01-07, 08:04 PM
J
Green and bare are the colours used for ground and nothing else.

Old 12-02-07, 10:21 AM
J
Question wiring

Right, I understand that. I was trying to say that the motor housing had a green wire and then there was also a green wire on the box that connected to my ceiling. I had connected those two wires to ground the unit... Do I still need to connect the bare wire to those two green ones or is it ok the way it is now?

Old 12-02-07, 12:11 PM
J
Unhappy wiring issues again

So I have the black connected to black, white connected to white, green connected to green connected to bare, and blue connected to red. the fan still works, but the light does not. I'm not sure if having the ground connected to another green to the bare is causing it... or what the deal is... Any suggestions?

Old 12-02-07, 12:30 PM
J
Try all the switches in the room. One of them might control the red. If not then cap the red and connect the blue wire with the black wire and use the pull chain.

Old 12-02-07, 12:42 PM
J
:)

Yeah was hoping it wouldn't result in that, however, I guess unless I want an electrician to come out and change the wiring I will have to suffice with that. Thanks for the advice. None of the switches in the room seem to work for the red. What else would the red come from or work for?

Old 12-02-07, 01:02 PM
D
Is there a red wire in the switchbox where the fan switch is located?
I'm betting that there is.
If there is, you are in good shape and can add a combo switch to control both the fan and the light.

Old 12-02-07, 02:50 PM
J
The red wire is in a box somewhere. Do you have any switches that don't do anything? Maybe it is not hooked up. Maybe you need to add a switch to a box if you want light control.

Old 12-02-07, 10:41 PM
S
Always Hot?

There may have been a fan here before, and someone put a regular light in. It's even possible that when the house was built, the builder or homeowner had enough foresight to wire for a fan switch. Check for a red wire in the box that holds your lightswitch like dezwit suggested.

Old 12-10-07, 11:23 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
when you assembled the ceiling fan, did you plug the light section into the fan section?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: