ceiling fan and attic insulation

Old 12-04-07, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan and attic insulation

I recently added a ceiling fan in my top floor bedroom. I needed to remove the attic R30 insulation to install the electrical box. I recently read that the insulation in your attic should NOT touch these recessed fixtures because they could overheat (it says you should build a box around the fixture and not put insulation over it. Am I misunderstanding this? All my other ceiling fixtures (lights and/or fans) are covered with insulation. Should I re-box them (I don't want to...think its overkill since I don't think they give off that much heat... but I've been wrong before! ;-)? Any suggestions? Thnx!

Trenton, NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 08:28 PM
Ceiling fan/attic insulation

That's a good question and after checking mine, I also have insulation covering the boxes.

Some of mine are blow in insulation and R19 pink stuff. Maybe they are just protecting themselfs with over kill?

How about the foam insulation you spray for the can, I know that is used around electrical outlets.

Duke of ....

Old 12-04-07, 08:42 PM
You're probably thinking of the rules for recessed can lights. Some of them can be in contact with insulation and some not. But for an electrical box that just contains connections, you can always cover it with insulation without concern.

Old 12-05-07, 06:26 AM
If your fixtures are IC rated (should be on the label in the fixture) you are okay.
If not, you need to pull the insulation back or box them out.

Old 12-05-07, 07:57 AM
dezwit, I think you misunderstood. There are no recessed lights in this problem, so there's no IC rating to consider.