Another ceiling fan remote question

Old 12-05-07, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have installed a ceiling fan, which worked. I am now stymied by installing a Hunter model 27185 remote. I see the black an white wires, but I don't know what to do with the red wire. When I set up with just the black & red wires, I did not have enough power to run both the light and fan. When I hooked up just the black and white wires, the unit did not operate. Please help, I would pull my hair out (if I still had any).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-07, 03:43 PM

Was there a separate blue wire for the lights? Usually is and that's pretty standard.

Check your wiring digram, I think the red and black wire both connect to the black wire supply. White wire to white wire.

Duke of ....

Old 12-05-07, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your fan obviously has a wall switch for the light and one for the fan. The black wire would run either the light or fan, and the red the other application from the switches. Now that you are installing a Hunter remote, you won't be needing one of the wall switches. Cap off the red wire and hook up the black to black and white to white, as well as the other wires from the remote sending unit.

Old 12-05-07, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback. The red wire was the switch wire. Now, when I have the fan hooked up directly to the wires, it runs fine. However, when I hook up the remote,the fan does not get enough power to both light up and run the blades. Any help would be appreciated.